Respected Contributor

Re: It cosmetics just sold to L'oreal

@silkyk wrote:

Can anyone think of a cosmetic company that was made better because of a buyout? It seems when they sell out there goes the quality because the bottom line guys get in there and mess things up. I can't think of one company that was made better because of bigger. Once they sell out I am usually disappointed with the "new" product and am g o n e .

NYX has gotten better after being purchased by L'Oreal.

Respected Contributor

Another solid brand bites the dust.  I hate to see smaller companies sell out to animal testers. Sad.

That is a lot of money, phew.  She is set for life.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Another solid brand bites the dust.  I hate to see smaller companies sell out to animal testers. Sad.

Well the majority will go to the equity firm but she will still get a nice chunk of change

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Is there loyalty on either side?  I wonder.

There was a time in my life I felt some loyalty to brands.  Not very often any more  Am I unusual?  I really don't think so.

I think you're right @millieshops... Things have changed so much in the retail world, along with everything else. I think we all seek what works best for us at prices we want to pay and brand loyalty isn't the stalwart it once was... I think this is especially true as brands have been swallowed up by huge congomerates, so that feeling some folks once had of investment in a brand is highly diluted. I'd say the same applies to shopping destinations...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

So most of the Q's big brands, BE, It, Tarte and Philosophy have all been sold to the highest bidder... Those women made fortunes by selling their brands and I don't blame them... I've never been a serious customer of any of these brands, so whatever transitions have happened or happen over time don't much matter to me. A few less hours devoted on-air by QVC to any and all of these brands would be a good thing, as far as I'm concerned, though Tarte and BE have pretty much dropped off the radar anyway... It would be nice if Philosophy and It followed suit.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Is there loyalty on either side?  I wonder.

There was a time in my life I felt some loyalty to brands.  Not very often any more  Am I unusual?  I really don't think so.

I think you're right @millieshops... Things have changed so much in the retail world, along with everything else. I think we all seek what works best for us at prices we want to pay and brand loyalty isn't the stalwart it once was... I think this is especially true as brands have been swallowed up by huge congomerates, so that feeling some folks once had of investment in a brand is highly diluted. I'd say the same applies to shopping destinations...

I have never felt any loyalty for any particular brand for the sake of loyalty. I am only loyal to a particular product from a particular brand AS LONG AS IT IS WORKING FOR ME. As soon as it stops working (or sells out to a company that tests on animals), then I move on. I've never understood the mindeset of brand loyalty for the sake of loyalty, regardless of how much I like (or dislike) the founder/owner/whatever. Bottom line, it needs to work for me.

Trusted Contributor

Anyone waving that kind of money at me and I would sell it too. She is so young and now set for life.

She may continue with the company, but I would think she loses control over the products, ingredients, etc.

Just like Bare Minerals. Lesley got rich, and BM is not the same anymore.

Go powerful women Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Well the majority will go to the equity firm but she will still get a nice chunk of change

Yes, of course, but she will get a substantial chunk. Not sure what Philosophy sold for but I remember Christina Carlino getting a nice payout - hundreds of millions.   Good for them.  They worked hard to build the companies so they deserve a nice payday.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Yes, of course, but she will get a substantial chunk. Not sure what Philosophy sold for but I remember Christina Carlino getting a nice payout - hundreds of millions.   Good for them.  They worked hard to build the companies so they deserve a nice payday.

Hence my comment "she will still get a nice chunk of change" 😳

Trusted Contributor

My young, darling, lawyer daughter explained this stuff to me  last year.   The name of the game nowadays is to build a successful company and then sell it and cruise. If you pay attention, Laura Geller, IT, Tarte and many more have private equity companies who partner with them, otherwise they could not get their product made and distributed.  The goal of a private equity company is to sell the startup,  after it has reached  a successful place in the market (5-7 years), to a larger corporation.  Private Equity companies are investing not to hold on to something but to turn it over. and make their profit.  And, I do not believe the BE was owned by Leslie.  She came in many years ago,set it on the right course and had a lot of power,  but was not the owner.

Hope that Tatcha does not go this route.