Respected Contributor
Shampoo or baby shampoo.
Contributor
On 1/11/2014 FUTURE said: Shampoo or baby shampoo.

My Mom and I both have always used baby shampoo and works fine.

Respected Contributor

I use Purity and then a little conditioner to keep the bristles soft.

Regular Contributor

I love my IT MU brushes but hate washing any brand brush. I have an elf spray brush cleaner that I use for daily cleaning, it's quick and easy and does an OK job but not great. I wash them when I think they really need it with my good shampoo. I am careful to only get the brush wet.....I shake and dry them as best I can, but feel the thick ones take forever to dry and that is a bit inconvenient. Smiley Happy

I have not had any problem with odors on my brushes, before washing it may have the scent of the product I applied but faint and not offensive.

Super Contributor

I use a brush cleaner. ELF makes a great spray one and it's only $3.00. I just spray the brush and wipe it off and it's already dry.

Respected Contributor

I clean brushes with the foam type antibacterial hand soap. Put in the palm of my hand, swish, rinse, and repeat. I've done this many times with IT and the BIG Tarte brush.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Trusted Contributor

I generally use a good brush cleaner(have Mac's right now) a few times a week then give a thorough wash with Dawn or Baby shampoo every two weeks. I prefer clarifying shampoos for brushes as they do a good job of getting all the makeup off them.

If there is an odor on your brushes, it is likely some residue from one of the cosmetics you are using. They really shouldn't smell that obviously otherwise. I've never noticed any smell with my brushes.

Since you are noticing the odor every 2nd or 3rd use, I'd invest in a spray brush cleaner and spray the brushes either after each use or every other. The rubbing alcohol some mentioned above would also be a good but inexpensive option. This should eliminate your odor issue ........ hopefully anyway!

Contributor

Thank you all so very much..I'm not sure where the odor is coming from, I use L. Geller, It, Philosophy all high end stuff..can only think I should have cleaned them, or that I kept them in the tube or leather keeper..so will try after cleaning a different way to store. Again, many thanks

Respected Contributor

I love my IT brushes and use Johnson/Johnson baby shampoo

Deb

Super Contributor

There have been similar threads to yours that I have read. I learned 2 key things:

1. Don't soak your brushes in the sink. When you wash, only wet the brush and not the handle or collar (it has a fancy name I can't remember...lol).

2..When drying, don't dry them brush side up. For the same reason.....having water trickle down into the brush.

Do remember to shape them and let them air dry. I would be leery putting either dirty or wet brushes into any tube or leather keeper.

I'm with you -- I'm just crazy about my IT brushes!!! {#emotions_dlg.wub}