New Contributor

I have new allergies to beeswax, honey & lanolin; need HELP with lips & mascara!

I am having the worst time with finding products that I can use for my lips & lashes now that I can't use beeswax, honey or lanolin. Its unbelievable how many things have these ingredients! Try checking food, too. (Oh, how I miss baklava & Surgeon's Skin Secret & lipstick & gloss!). I had a very strange reaction after bilateral mastectomies; would love & appreciate advice & product help.

Contributor

Re: I have new allergies to beeswax, honey & lanolin; need HELP with lips & mascara!

Oh i think you could try virgim coconut oil. In the health food or food section of gocery store. Dont know what inwould do without surgeons skin secret or beeswax! Or knitting with wool (lanolin!)!
Contributor

Re: I have new allergies to beeswax, honey & lanolin; need HELP with lips & mascara!

On 1/4/2014 realsilvergirl said: Oh i think you could try virgim coconut oil. In the health food or food section of gocery store. Dont know what inwould do without surgeons skin secret or beeswax! Or knitting with wool (lanolin!)!
So i feel for you. Dont know how to post photos but you can use the coconut oil on hair and skin: "To use as a conditioner or moisturizer place jar in pan of warm water to liquify. Apply to wet hair, let stand for an hour (or a minute!) before washing or massage small amounts directly onto skin." You can also mix the coconut oil when liquid with baby lotion and fruit of the earth vitamin e cream (not lotion!). There are recipes out there! Maybe almond oil too! Again, i found these things in the health food section of hyvee food stores. Great stuff!
Esteemed Contributor

I would advise you to check YouTube for DIY recipes...particularly organic ones. There are people out there who make their own makeup and moisturizers so that they can leave out what they don't want.

Type "DIY organic mascara" or "DIY organic lip balm" or "DIY organic cosmetics" and see what pops up. I'd be willing to bet you'll find something that you can make yourself without much effort that won't cost much and will suit your needs. The other day I watched a video where a girl who has sensitivities to several ingredients used a frozen blackberry, spirulina powder, a q-tip and some water to make up her face.

I'm not sure I'm looking to be that extreme with paring down my makeup, but I guess this gal can't find products that work for her...so she has learned how to make a few natural ingredients work for her. It may not be your cup of tea, but it is interesting, and it certainly shows that you can find alternatives out there. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH0JVtdyUmI

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
New Contributor

Thank so much realsilvergirl and mistriTsquirrel for your suggestions. I have been really sad about these allergies and appreciate your input and the time it took to respond. I will absolutely take a look into your ideas! Happy, healthy 2014 to you! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Years ago, I became allergic to a certain mascara and could not wear eye makeup for one month. Then I started using Clinique but I have no idea about the ingredients. I also suggest you look into organic mascara. Again, I am not familiar with the ingredients. Good luck. Allergies sure are annoying.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/10/2014 anniecatt said:

Thank so much realsilvergirl and mistriTsquirrel for your suggestions. I have been really sad about these allergies and appreciate your input and the time it took to respond. I will absolutely take a look into your ideas! Happy, healthy 2014 to you! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Thanks, anniecatt!!

The answers are out there...it's just that, sometimes you have to look really hard to find them. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

I don't envy your situation, but I'll bet you can get to the bottom of what's going on--and what works for you--with some investigation.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

For lips, I would use coconut oil (or Vaseline cocoa butter lip, but I am having a hard time finding ALL the ingredients listed) and add color by using a Bare Minerals eye shadow for pigment. Here is an example of an eye shadow and the ingredients:

Mica, Zinc Stearate, Carmine (Ci 75470). May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77489, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (Ci 77163), Ferric Ferrocyanide (Ci 77510), Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (Ci 77510), Manganese Violet (Ci 77742), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (Ci 77289), Kaolin (Ci 77004), Zinc Oxide (Ci 77947).

Valued Contributor

EpicallyEpicSoap on Etsy sells vegan lip balms & lip tints. I like the Passionfruit Rose lip tint she sells. Very nice seller & quality products. As far as mascara, I would check places like Etsy or places that sell more natural cosmetics (you may want to look at cake mascaras). Good luck!

Super Contributor

Have you tried Urban Decay? Last time I checked they were vegan based....