Honored Contributor

How much do you spend on makeup every year?

I am thinking about that (don't know how much I spend but need to add it up).  I was thinking if I only bought the basics like new lipstick, blush, eye shadow, mascara and liner, and bought ONE set in spring and ONE set in fall/winter, would it be cheaper to throw that set away in a year and then none of your makeup would be more than a year old.

Does this make sense to any of you?  Then I'd use it up, a warmer toned set for summer, cooler for winter, throw it out, have less clutter and maybe even save or not spend any more than I already do.  You know when the new stuff comes out there is always something you want!

I may not be back until tomorrow, but would love  your thoughts! 

Honored Contributor

Re: How much do you spend on makeup every year?

I would estimate less than $50 a year - and I do toss my MU every 6 months. I do not buy the high end department store brands because I just don't see them as any better than the drug store ones. As a matter of fact - I much prefer L'Oreal foundation and blush to any I have tried from the high end brands.I spend a bit more on lipstick because I buy it from Lipstick Queen, but I don't buy a lot of various colors.The only eye MU I wear is mascara and I buy Maybelline which is just as good as any currently on the market in my opinion. 

Now, if you add in skin care and primers to that it would double the price to about $100 a year - I wear hydrating spackle, argon oil, and eucerin cream cream with sunscreen and the purchasing of these does add up. However, I am sure I'm way way under for a year what some spend in a month.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Probably around $1000 a year. I like Bobbi Brown, Chanel and Lancôme. I replace things a lot because I prefer very fresh makeup.

edited..that estimate includes skincare.

Honored Contributor

Virtually nothing on make-up.  When I could use eye make-up, then I spent more but now that the closest I come to my eyes is with a brow pencil, I no longer worry about expiration dates on make-up.

Years ago I remember a beauty consultant telling me one of the benefits of my coloring was that I could easily use the same lipstick all the time as long as I kept choosing my clothing to compliment my skin rather than paying attention to any popular colors.  I've been saving lipstick (and blush, too) money for over 30 years using that woman's advice!

I do spend heavily on skincare and haircare, far more than I ever did when I was younger, so in a way everything balances out.

Respected Contributor

Good question. According to my DH "TOO MUCH!" LOL....he says it's "all the same colors". Silly boy. An artist needs her palette. (BIG art needed here)

Honored Contributor

I think it's probably less than $100. I don't wear a whole lot and I don't buy expensive brands. However, I do spend a bit more on skincare products.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I am thinking about that (don't know how much I spend but need to add it up).  I was thinking if I only bought the basics like new lipstick, blush, eye shadow, mascara and liner, and bought ONE set in spring and ONE set in fall/winter, would it be cheaper to throw that set away in a year and then none of your makeup would be more than a year old.

Does this make sense to any of you?  Then I'd use it up, a warmer toned set for summer, cooler for winter, throw it out, have less clutter and maybe even save or not spend any more than I already do.  You know when the new stuff comes out there is always something you want!

I may not be back until tomorrow, but would love  your thoughts! 

@Sooner  My coloring requires cool tone makeup colors all year. I don’t change to warm tones in warm weather. Since I usually wear neutral shades & have worked hard to get my routine to a minimum number of steps/products, I don’t think I spend too much a year. I do spend more on a good foundation to have it match perfectly.

Most of my “makeup money” is actually spent on skincare.

Respected Contributor

Less than $50.00 per year, I'd estimate.  I know we are told to toss old makeup but I don't and have never had a problem.  I do replace mascara and foundation.  I buy a new eyeshadow combo now and then.  All drug store brands.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I don't spend a lot during the year but a fair amount during the holidays. I like all the super kits....especially Estee Lauder and Elizabeth Arden.

Contributor

I spend plenty that's for sure.  My husband likes to tell me QVC would call me if I didn't place an order routinely.