Respected Contributor

Re: How much do you spend on makeup every year?

Not much--maybe $50.

Honored Contributor

I probably spend $200-$300 on makeup.  I buy expensive foundations although I use little of it.  Dior for "good", Trish McEvoy for average, and sometimes just Dior powder/foundation alone.  I also have a Shiseido powder and sunscreen for sunner use--I LOVE that stuff.

I am cutting way back on skincare because the less I use the less red my face has.  All the red is about gone, limiting it to sunscreen and foundation or powder by day, serum, toner and a very simple cream at night.

Respected Contributor

Way way way more than I should. But I have SO much fun with it! I have gotten into the skin care side of it too!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Not much.  I wear Avon and stock up when it's on sale.   

I just looked ... I order Avon about every four months and it generally runs about $40 - and that includes fragrances in addition to makeup.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I am thinking about that (don't know how much I spend but need to add it up).  I was thinking if I only bought the basics like new lipstick, blush, eye shadow, mascara and liner, and bought ONE set in spring and ONE set in fall/winter, would it be cheaper to throw that set away in a year and then none of your makeup would be more than a year old.

Does this make sense to any of you?  Then I'd use it up, a warmer toned set for summer, cooler for winter, throw it out, have less clutter and maybe even save or not spend any more than I already do.  You know when the new stuff comes out there is always something you want!

I may not be back until tomorrow, but would love  your thoughts! 

Does throwing away perfectly good makeup every six months make sense? Not to me. I mean mascara sure. But why would I throw away lipstick, blush or eyeshadow every six months? That stuff is good for a lot longer than that. I have lipsticks that are 5 years old that are still good. I also wouldn't want to be that limited on my color choices. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I replace mascara and liner every 3-4 months for sanitary reasons. Other than that, my stuff last a long time since I wear so little of it. So in answer to your question, not much.

Honored Contributor

I wear no jewelry (except for earrings) or accessories but ...  I love my makeup so lots and lots of money!! 

Honored Contributor

I wear makeup so infrequently that I have to throw it out and start fresh, so I buy inexpensive drugstore brands.

Honored Contributor

One poster says she throws out her makeup every 6 months? Really? I watch how long I use my mascara but everything else is just used by me. I always have a clean face when applying and any germs would be mine. I'd be broke if I had to replace my makeup twice a year. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I try and not buy expensive brands for the most part.  Except for lately when I purchased an LG kit and then another B&B and a brush.  The most I have ever spent on makeup!  And I am still on the fence about both of them.

I think I am not spending a lot on makeup items because I usually go to drug stores, Walmart, Target,etc.  But if I would add up in a year all the purchases from these places -- I am sure I would be totally shocked at the total!!!  

I am never happy really with the foundations, powders, lipsticks, etc. -- well, maybe for a bit -- I will think -- this is it or this is pretty good -- and the next thing you know --- I am dissatisifed with the product and am purchasing more stuff.

In my case, I know it is because I am starting to look my age and it is hard to find things that I think look decent and make me look and feel better.

So -- the answer is --- a lot!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin