Honored Contributor

Re: How much do you spend on makeup every year?

I spend more on Skincare, than I do makeup these days. For Makeup, I usually only really purchase Foundation and mascara and lipstick regularly.....I do use expensive Foundation and Mascara though, and I am a lippie fanatic, so I am sure it is a fair amount.

However, a lot less than say 5 years ago, when I thought I had to have every new palette that came out, or TSV Beauty kit.....LOL!

For me with makeup, less is more, but I spend more on my skincare and haircare. 

Esteemed Contributor

I do not even remember the last time I wore makup, that is probably why I look like something the cat dragged in!

Honored Contributor

I'm rouge at Sephora and it's not the only place I purchase makeup. Although I very rarely buy it from QVC. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I really kept to a tight budget in 2016 on makeup and skincare, but I lost my mind this year.  I earned it though because I've had a tough year with health and wellness. Being sick and on a variety of medications is never a formula to look one's best.  I can say that every one of my splurge makeup purchases served as a mood lifter when I am not feeling very pretty.  In a usual year without splurging I easily spend from $300 to $500 in makeup.  If I factor in skincare, bath & body, and hair I'm over $1000.   

Although most of my makeup purchases were splurge, I discovered one which will be a staple from now on and that is IT Cosmetics Ombre Radiance Blush.  I started with Sugar Plum, but it is Coral which could make the dead look alive.  I get no questions asking "are you feeling ok today" when I wear that blush.  Woman Happy  

Honored Contributor

Well I wasn't counting hair care products. Yikes. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I started thinking about it..........and felt faint.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses!  It gives me something to think about.  I think for me, getting rid of it yearly would make me buy less (2 or 3 lipsticks in he 6-month season when the new colors come out), and getting rid of the old would keep clutter from collecting. . . 

I'm trying so hard to keep a neat makeup and skincaredrawer, use up the excess I have and not replace all of it.  I appreciate all of  your input!

Esteemed Contributor

A good guess would be around $100/year for makeup (not skin care). I'm retired so I probably spend a little less now. I find that the eye shadow shades I generally choose are always about the same, so instead of buying a new one I'll keep using what I already have. I seem to replace mascara and eye liner the most - usually every 3 or 4 months, but only because I've run out. I find that Walgreen's is a good, economical source for those two products since they work for me. I don't want makeup everywhere in my bathroom, so I buy what I need - not more.

Respected Contributor

A lot less than I used to. No more kits unless I can wear all of it or at least most of it. I buy what I want and find I'm spending much less money. Bought a Bobbi Brown blush with highligher instead of a kit.

I do throw out my mascara every three months. Once the tube is open bacteria can settle in. Preservatives are gone at three months. I do the Nordstrom, "buy two, get one free," and one drugstore brand. I wear a real brown which is getting harder to find. I buy super size foundation.

Skincare: retina micro. Expensive, but a tube lasts me a year. Still looking for a good moisturizer.

I'm seventy three and spend a lot of time trying not to look made up. To quote Dolly Parton, "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap." It takes a lot of time to look natural.

Respected Contributor

How could I forget hair products. I think I own everything I find to use with all my tools.