Honored Contributor

How long can you go without washing your hair?

I've seen this topic on the boards before, but thought I'd bring it up again....

In my 20's, 30's, & 40's, I would never skip a day of washing my hair.  Just the thought of it made me cringe.  However, these days (in my 50's), I'm able to go several days without washing.  Thanks goodness for dry shampoo!  If I had a wash-and-go hairstyle,  I'd probably never skip a day. 

Back then, my skin and scalp was oilier than present day.  So, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.  I prefer my hair when it's newly washed and blow-dried, but I just don't do it everyday anymore.

Honored Contributor

Re: How long can you go without washing your hair?

I wash mine 5 or 6 days a week.  Used to wash it every day, but now I try to give it a break a day or two a week.  

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal ....you sound like me, I could have written the exact post.....these days I wash my hair at least 2x a week....depending on my activities.

Esteemed Contributor

Aren't your natural oils supposed to be good for your hair? Remember brushing every day to get that stimulation?

I used to be a daily washer, then every other, and now I wash about 3 times a week. Whenever I start losing that bounce. But I must say that Carol's Daughter S&C really maintain the bounce longer than anything else I've used. Also maintains a clean feeling, as I don't use styling products per se.

(I've never found a dry shampoo that I like, and I am tired of wasting money on them.)

Super Contributor

I have waist length hair and wash my hair 1x every 5 days. Not gross,keeps my scalp clean and allows natural oils to go down hair shaft.

Honored Contributor

I wash my hair every day when I shower.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It varies. If I am working out, doing yard work and other sweaty activities (I live in MN, hot and humid in summer!) then everyday. 

If I am slacking on the rigorous work stuff, then everyother day!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

I’m 63 and wash it every day. On the rare occasion I wake up without bed head and have hair sticking out everywhere I might try to skip a day, but that isn’t very often.

Respected Contributor

I can go 3 days but prefer to wash after 2 days Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I used to wash it every other day....sometimes every third day.  But since starting to go to the gym 6 days a week, I have to wash it every day....I sweat a LOT at the gym.