Honored Contributor

Re: How long can you go without washing your hair?

My hair is long, down just past my bra strap. But it's flat, straight and thinning on top so any oil on my scalp shows up on my hair in about 3 days. That's when I wash it. 

I've gone almost 2 weeks w/o washing my hair but that's when I go camping in remote locations where there are no facilities, much less water. I wear in a braid. Since I have to backpack everything when we go, I bring a travel-size can of dry-shampoo. But still...hair is rather gross Woman Tongueafter that long and I can't wait to get home and wash!

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal I am just like you.  From the time I was 18 until my late 40's, I washed my hair every single day.  I finally decided that it was not necessary and my second and third day hair looked great.  Now I wash my hair at least twice a week and sometimes three times. 

Respected Contributor

I shampoo every day unless I'm down with a really bad cold and just don't feel like it. I bathe every day so it just doesn't make sense that I wouldn't wash everything but my hair. I've spoken with my hairdresser about it, especially after hearing the vendors on the Q who say not to wash every day, and she says there's nothing wrong with every day washing and she does the same. I know there are those who say you shouldn't even shower every day but I have to have a "full baptism" every day to feel right. I remember the days when I was growing up where women went into the salon for a shampoo once a week. I'm glad that's not the norm now!

Super Contributor

I shower daily, but wash my hair 2x a week and an intense moisturizing hair treatment every 2 weeks, my hair is very dry.

Honored Contributor

As a general rule of thumb I wash my hair every other day.  I have drier hair that gets blow dried and flat ironed and that is too harsh on my fine hair everyday.      

Honored Contributor

at times about 3 days--I have very short cropped hair so the more time to add more product to it , the better it looks. My styling seems to last better.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal   when I was younger and working....my hair was shorter and I used a lot of product to style it. Including hair spray....  I usually went about every Two or three days between washing, 

Now  retired, I grew my hair out long and silver, I go about a week between wash.  I use no styling products....do not even blow dry my hair. Just let it dry naturally. I do niot have oily scalp... so no need to over wash,  and damage my virgin hair. ( By virgin, I mean not colored or processed.)

Respected Contributor

I wash and deep condition my hair once a week. Too much washing dries out my curls.  I’ve been doing this for years. 

Respected Contributor

I wash every day.  I wake up looking like a scarecrow.  They invented the term bed head just for me LOL.  My mom is exactly the same too, if not worse.  

Respected Contributor

(When I had hair) Usually I wash my hair every other day.  If I have some place to go, I wash it every day.