Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Would You Pay For A Haircut

@SandGirl wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I tip only if the service is beyond ordinary and the hairstylist does something extra.

When I go in for a simple haircut and it costs $50 why would I give more money?  I'm paying for a service of $50 and that's all that was done.  

Tipping has gotten so out of hand.  It's like people just give out money because they think it's expected. 

The stylist does not get that $50.

Sorry, but unless you are not satisfied with your cut, the stylist deserves a tip.

Talk about setting yourself up for salon gossip.  I'd be embarrassed to walk through the door.

My stylist OWNS her own salon and is the only person in there, she rents out a small section on someone's home, has it decorated all cute and is the only person in there. Her price is 40.00 and I always feel obligated to tip.... Even though she owns the salon so the 40.00 does go to her, not sure which is correct, has me thinking....

@SandGirl, stop thinking about it because you can't stop tipping now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I spend $35 for a cut and blow dry.  

This is probably one of those expenses that vary widely from city to city -- like rent.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Occasional Contributor

The same with me.  I used to go to a beauty school and paid $8.  I have paid up to $60 (hated that cut) and usually average $24 w/ tip.  I am lucky if I get my hair cut once or twice a year.  I color my own and it's pretty healthy,  I use Wen and love it.  But like you I rarely get a good cut by the same place/person twice in a row.  That's why I don't go a lot.

Honored Contributor

It definitely depends on where you live.  I live in a suburb of Cleveland.  I'd say the average in my area is $22.00-$30.00 and that includes washing.  I've never been to a salon that doesn't wash my hair and I've been to a LOT of salons. No one styles for that price. Styling is extra.

My most recent cut and low-lights was $120.00 including the tip and she fully styled my hair afterwards because I was her last client and she wanted to check my color.  It was my first time there.  At my next appointment I'm only having my roots done so I'll see what she charges for that. 

There is one salon in my area that charges $55.00 for a cut but that includes wash and styling and you don't have the option to pay less and not have it styled.

Truth be told, personally most of the time I'd prefer to just walk out with a wet head. I generally go in the evening after work and then go home anyhow so it doesn't matter to me.   

Respected Contributor

I don't know how much my hair cut costs because I never only get a hair cut.  

Honored Contributor

My last cut, blow dry and style was $35.00 with a tip of $10 because she does such a nice job. I color my own hair and she likes the job I do. Sometimes she throws in a deep conditioning treatment and won't charge me....thus the generous tip.

Esteemed Contributor

SandGirl wrote:

My stylist OWNS her own salon and is the only person in there, she rents out a small section on someone's home, has it decorated all cute and is the only person in there. Her price is 40.00 and I always feel obligated to tip.... Even though she owns the salon so the 40.00 does go to her, not sure which is correct, has me thinking....

It is a long standing rule that if your hairdresser is the owner no tip.  Stylists renting space in someone else's salon or working for a salary (such as chains like Hair Cuttery or Sasoon salons) are tipped.  It is appropriate to tip anyone who assists the owner with your hair.  My stylist is the owner and I do not tip her.  She's been my hairdresser for 20 years.  

Honored Contributor

My hairdresser charges $85.  I always get my color done at the same time and the total is $175.  I give him 2 Bennies.  He's the best thing since sliced bread so I don't mind paying it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I been cutting my own hair for over  20 years so its free!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife wrote:

My hairdresser charges $85.  I always get my color done at the same time and the total is $175.  I give him 2 Bennies.  He's the best thing since sliced bread so I don't mind paying it.

@SurferWife, you tip him $200 for a $175 bill?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland