Super Contributor

I don't know the hosts name...but the one that did Diamonique this eveningmorning for some of you...her nails were just so badly done! That made me not what to buy anything from her. Nice nails do so much when presenting jewelry.

Super Contributor
I have often wondered why most of the Q's hosts do not have nice manicures and/or refills (for fake nails.) My nails ALWAYS look nice. I have them done professionally every 10 days because I have fake nails and I cannot stand the look of needing a refill. It's odd to me that the hosts on HSN all have lovely nails. I think that must be a HSN rule. What little rules and regulations QVC ever had have long been gone. And not just rules about nails. I'm talking about rules for proper attire also.
Honored Contributor

I always admire the nails of the HSN hosts. Not sure why QVC doesn't take a look and learn from them. Especially when presenting jewelry.

Frequent Contributor

I agree...the best looking nails seem to be the natural ones. Nancy Hornbeck has lovely nails. She is a beautiful woman & is so easy to watch....no screaming at us etc. I won't mention who I think has horrible nails...don't want to offend her.....large, fake, square nails...always look awful. Fake everything!

Respected Contributor
On 7/18/2014 Krimpette said:

I always admire the nails of the HSN hosts. Not sure why QVC doesn't take a look and learn from them. Especially when presenting jewelry.

Agree. I once had a part-time job in a jewelry department of a top retailer and all of us had manicured nails.

Esteemed Contributor

I've watched HSN for 20 years. Their hosts are always, always well groomed. I believe they are told certain things to do and not do. I recall Colleen many years ago having to cut her hair shoulder length. She said that they got a new head person (can't remember the exact words) and that the hosts had to cut their hair shorter. Colleen was very uncomfortable with it shorter. Another host once said that they could not wear false eyelashes. It appears that HSN's hosts are held to high standards, and frankly, I am impressed with all of them.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I don't remember Colleen being told she had to cut her hair but I do remember when Sammy gave her a short haircut right before she had to go on air and she hated it.

I think when you are going to have the camera on your hands the way the hosts do, it's a must to keep your artificial nails filled because even a slight gap looks horrible on HD cameras.

The worst nails I have ever seen are on the JTV hosts. Some of them look as if they haven't had a fill in 4 or 5 weeks.

Honored Contributor

Kathy Levine wrote about it in one of her books. At one time QVC was strict about hosts' nails. They could wear only pale polish, nothing that distracted from their presentations. I remember once when she appeared on air with a bright polish, she said she knew she'd have a memo in her folder.

I remember Mary Beth apologizing she'd broken a nail on vacation and did not have time to have it repaired. The next day it was fixed.

Even the men had manicured nails.

Honored Contributor

The worst I've seen was the noon show today. The host was showing a watch, so there was a close-up of her hands. Her nails had a taupe-y color polish on the nails….except two were bare and ragged. Maybe she explained the condition of her nails early in the show, but I just tuned in. Her hands looked absolutely dreadful. Hard to believe there was no time to improve the look of her hands before going on the air.

Updated to note that she is now applying the gel coat. However, the nails still looked dirty underneath. Surely, she could have waited until the presentation to remove polish and then apply the gel coat.

Honored Contributor

I noticed that too, that should never happen. To be fair, I don't recall seeing any other Q host with unsightly nails. I've seen unkempt nails on Liquidation Channel hosts too. I don't recall the channel but several weeks ago, in the late night hours, I saw a male vendor who had ragged and dirty nails. Like he worked in his yard all day. Nasty.