Trusted Contributor

Help Need Hair Color Correction!

To any hair colorists out there or anyone with a lot of hair color experience.  I had a minor disaster yesterday and was advised how to correct it but would like your opinions.

I have long hair. I've been coloring my hair with semi-permanent color for many years (Dark Blonde).  I colored my entire head the first time and since have only colored the roots.  Results have been excellent with L'Oreal products.  Then they discontinued them.

By now I have gray around my hairline. I switched to Clairol Natural Instincts and the color matched perfectly too but it washed out in literally 1 washing.  Clairol advised me to use Nice and Easy Dark Blonde (permanent color).  I've been really scared to start with permanent but have little choice.  I used it only around my hairline yesterday and now I have an ORANGE !!! hairline.

I called Clairol and was advised to use Nice and Easy Ash Blonde #9.  I'm really afraid to do this thinking I'll wind up with some off color like green.  In the meantime I have ordered Paul Mitchell Clarifying shampoo to hopefully strip some of this color.

Your thoughts?  Thanks.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Contributor

Re: Help Need Hair Color Correction!

dont fool around coloring long hair at home

Esteemed Contributor

@Deree 

Since you've already got problems with the color pickup, I would get to a professional as soon as possible.

Let her/him get the color corrected, then go from there with new products.

Why risk further problems?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@linda2  Like I said I've been doing it for a couple of decades with excellent results and like I said I've only done the roots so the long hair is not a factor.  

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As someone who has only colored my hair at home for the last 40 years, my best advice for you would to go to a professsional, at least for now. Your at home corrections are getting costly and are not helping you

Trusted Contributor

@Shelbelle  I haven't corrected anything yet so nothing has been costly.  I've only used a new hair color product with bad results.

Honored Contributor

@Deree 

I think you need something like this-

Colorfix Hair Color Remover

Honored Contributor

@Deree   I so well understand your dilemma..  A lot of drug store hair color pulls orange if you are looking for a neutral nature blonde with a hint of gold.  I would use the product Lola recommended or go to Sally's and talk to the resident "hair" person regarding a fix and color.  I like the idea of seeing a professional, but then what do you use for color in order to stay out of the loop of regular salon visits.

Frequent Contributor

@Deree 

I am not a professional, but I have had a few home disasters of my own over the years. I recently purchased Color Balance Blue shampoo by Joico. Matrix also has a blue shampoo. I had lots of brassy red in my light brown hair, and this shampoo removed it! Perhaps you could try washing only your hairline to see if the blue shampoo will remove or tone down the orange color. Don't wash your blonde hair with blue shampoo because it may tint it blue. Coloring over the orange would be a mistake. The shampoo may need to be used more than once. It's also a bit drying, so really condition your hair after washing. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

It sounds like you have hot roots. that can happen with permanent color.  Color processes faster at the root due to heat from the scalp which accelerates this. Your roots aren't matching the length.

My rec is to have a salon touch up the roots, because you are orange sounds like your base color is a med-dark brown/  Or wait a few days for the color to oxidize (darken) and then use a demi perm color from L'Oreal (or Sally) on the roots ONLY.  Stay away from Clairol products.

i use ION from Sally now, the demi w/10v.

i had a bad orange color from Clairol Perfect 10. i had been using Feria Dark Blonde (L'Oreal)  Clairol CSR are just glorified tel operators.  they were NOT helpful at all and real cranky.  after waiting a week or so i used Garnier Dark Beige Blonde and it worked great.