Super Contributor

Help, never had acne all the sudden I have a break out on one side of my face. Im over 40, what do you recommend.

I just broke out this morning. Tonight I used Cleanser, the Purity Mask ( I just bought it today because of the pimple situation) followed by Kate Sommerville Retinol.

Seeing a lot of people Friday and Saturday-help please.

Super Contributor

Dublingrl, I'm sooo sorry for you. I'm so sad that you're upset. I wish I could offer immediate advice. Hopefully someone will.

Looking for a solution, have you ever gone to paulaschoice dot com?

She has an entire line of products meant for acne sufferers. CLEAR is the specific line.

What's so great is their CS. Call and talk to them and explain what your issues are and what you want to accomplish. If you ask, they have been known for sending out samples so you can try and hopefully find something that works.

The company is stellar. They stand behind all their products and guarantee refunds. Her products are fragrance free. She's big on including ONLY what is medically necessary. Many posters here use her product line. I've been using 5 of her items now for 5 months -- major improvement in my complexion.

I guess acne in the 40's is hormone driven. Paula also has an advice section where you can read up on topics you're interested in.

I hope all goes well, one Irish woman to another! Smile

eta: This is a 3 item 2-week trial system for $13 (all her pricing is reasonable):

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/Clear-Acne-Treatments/_/Clear-Regular-Strength-Two-Week-Trial-Kit/

Just an idea to think of: When I tried Purity once I found it to be too creamy for my combo/oily skin. Is your skin oily? Either way, I think with acne you have to clear out the oil in the pore and counteract the bacteria.

I've heard posters refer to benzyl peroxide as being good. Maybe you could research that?

Super Contributor

Hey, me again! Smiley Wink

This is info on acne at PC site. Several short articles. And yes, she uses benzyl peroxide in one of her products. Another had a BHA 2%.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/acne/

Super Contributor

This works fast and great for me..........Acnevir..............amazing for acne and redness relief gel..........I love it and it works so fast. Get it on now. Let us know how you are doing. Ibuprohpin (sp) helps with inflammation...........double check with pharmacy on that though but I do believe I am correct about it and ice could help too.......also visine can help with the redness but Acnevir is the best unless you get something from a dermatologist.....he can give you shots in your face and in 48 hours they will be almost gone......

Super Contributor

Thanks Ladies!!

I'm going to get the Acnevir today, as I have an event this Friday, but I'll look into Paula's choice for a long term solution if this problem persists.

I have a feeling my skin is reacting because I just got back from vacation where I was slathering on the waterproof sunscreen (maybe I had a few clogged pores), and now skin is adapting to my home climate. Went from super dry climate to humid climate to dry climate.

I will order Paula's Choice, but I don't think it will get here before I meet everyone on Friday.

I also don't want to overdue it and irritate my skin. It already looks a little better this morning after using the retinol product that I had on hand.

Thanks for the adviceSmile

Super Contributor

I love Proactiv. I've been using it since the 90's and it is the only over the counter line that works for me. I use it daily and it keeps my complexion really clear and smooth. Check their website--a lot of malls have Proactiv kiosks so you don't have to order it online.

Contributor

This exact same thing happened to me in my 40s. I tried lots of different products and things. What eventually worked was Proactive. My skin cleared up less than 2 weeks of using the Proactive cleanser. All of those tiny little bumps on the left side of my face -- gone.

Honored Contributor

When I get an acne flareup, I really like to use Origins Out of Trouble mask. You can do it all over or as a spot treatment. I like to spot treat and leave it on overnight.

Honored Contributor

Get the low percentage benzoyl peroxide cream at CVS. It is very inexpensive. Then, as presented in the cosmetic guru Wayne Goss acne cure method, spread a thick layer all over your face. This low percent bp will not burn your face. It will kill off any bacteria that are spreading to areas on your face. If you do this before bedtime, your face may possibly be healed up and ready to go in the am. I just dab on some more the next day and keep repeating until the zits are gone.

Wayne Goss presents this method on youtube... and it really cured mine up. This after derm visits and derm rx's, etc.

Good luck and I hope you are happy with this method. BTW... this percent bp is the same amount present in the proactive system... and its cheaper. and it's a good exfoliator. Don't buy a higher percentage... don't.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Dublingirl, not all breakouts are acne. If you've never had acne before it's possible that a skincare or makeup product you recently used irritated your face causing the breakout. I would definitely back off the retinol until the blemishes heal. Acne healing products may be too harsh (especially if it isn't acne). Try using a dab of a cream intended for treating rashes or insect bite bumps instead for a fast clear up.