Super Contributor

Re: Have you found your ""go to"" set of personal care products & beauty supplies?

On 7/6/2014 NickNack said:
On 7/6/2014 Zcat said:

Products I may never find: foundation and concealer. Some foundation looks good in sunlight but horrible in UV lights. Some looks ok at my office but heavy in daylight. Some are too shiny, some have glitter, some are too flat, some look cakey... I have looked from Armani to Revlon, and I cannot find anything that looks natural.

Zcat, have you tried Laura Mercier? I think it's very natural looking.

I've looked at Laura Mercier, but I found it to be a little too yellow on me. I saw a Sephora ad with a new LM foundation -- at least I think it's new. I will check it out the next time I'm at the mall.

Thank you for the reply.

Super Contributor

Re: Have you found your ""go to"" set of personal care products & beauty supplies?

If I have something already that works why buy another one? If it doesn't work throw it out. Example - I have a dark brown gel eyeliner and a dark brown kohl eyeliner. Do I need any more brown eyeliner? No. Do I have boxes of eyeliner sitting on my self? No. Am I going to buy more brown eyeliner? No.

I have set skin care and some set hair care. There is no harm dabbling if you use something up and then buy the new thing you want to try.

Why buy something before you have the need to use it and let it sit on your self getting old?

If you have tons of unused items and you are simplifying maybe you can donate the items to a local homeless shelter for women and families or a shelter for battered and abused women.

You can simplify and do some good with your excess.

Respected Contributor

On 7/5/2014 wackers said:

In response to the original question, I don't think I will ever truly find my "go to" products. While I may have some that I rely most on, my nature is far too fickle to completely settle down on a select group of products or one specific brand. I liken it to that elusive nature of the hunt - it would bore me too much otherwise as I do have a very curious nature overall and fortunately, my skin is not overly sensitive so I can experiment more than others may be able to. I know that limits others as to how much they can experiment.

I could have written this - especially about my skin which isn't sensitive to most products at all. I don't know if it's so much being fickle. I do stay true to certain products & will always re-purchase. I just 'add to' w/ various new stuff because it's fun experimenting. Call it a vice.. but I enjoy it. Like I said.. I'm a Gemini. We get bored easily, also curious by nature and VARIETY is indeed the spice of life! I don't use the same hair cleanser every time I do my hair, I like variety in foundations, blush- all cosmetics really. While I still do from time-to-time, mascara and eyeliner is a category which I change a lot less and stick with what works. I like to change up my lotions and fragrances.. I think you get the picture. I tend to stay truer to what works in skincare. If I can keep the clock from going forward, I don't want to risk changing that, even though I do change things up in my routine depending on what I think my skin needs. I like to find different ways to use existing products and also mix my own.. like BE & Halo which creates a perfect powder formula for me.

Contributor

Yes, fortunately.

Cerave cleanser, Olay moisturizer with SPF (although I am going to add a Paula's Choice tinted SPF shortly), PANTENE or VO5 shampoo, Revlon and NYX for lip colors, L'Oreal TruMatch foundation, Paula's Choice for BHA and Vitamin C, philosophy shower gels, Tree Hut lotions, Pond's or Olay towelettes.

Phew!

Being satisfied with these staples, anything else I buy just to try out, is either for a luxurious indulgence or out of sheer whimsy - or plain silliness ! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Edited to add: I should mention that I arrived at this point only after much squandering of both effort and money. And I have Paula Begoun's Beautypedia to thank for lighting my way to better skin! {#emotions_dlg.wub}