New Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Ever Had A Sebaceous Cyst On Your Face?

If you are talking about an abscess then epsom salts draw it out. It is in a self enclosed sac that needs to be seen by a doctor. I' m not sure if we are mixing up terms here like cyst and abscess.

Super Contributor

I had those years ago--- had to see a derm and yes there is a tiny scar---but back then there was no Mederma. I would see a derm for it...

Respected Contributor

I actually had two and both were removed by dermatologists. One was injected with cortisone. Painful. The compresses will help to ease discomfort.

This is one of those you should not try at home. I went to dermatologists for years and just kept my face very clean with facial scrubs. I was also on antibiotics. When it comes to your face, I think I would rather be safe than sorry.

Honored Contributor

Mine had to be cut out in surgery last year. I too used Mederma.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/15/2014 qualitygal said:

Mine had to be cut out in surgery last year. I too used Mederma.

Have any one of you sweet ladies had one on your scalp? Fortunately hair cover them (have2) but I can feel them when I rub my scalp TIA.

Honored Contributor

Dp
Honored Contributor

Curse you Beauties (fist shaking to the skies)!!! Joking!! Last night I saw this thread & wondered what a sebaceous cyst was so I Googled. Heavens! An hour later I was watching back to back videos about sebaceous cysts in that "weird" part of YouTube!!! I don't think I'll ever be the same again! All joking aside, the "professional/surgical" patients (and not Bubba @ home with a sewing needle! Yes..just like an accident I couldn't look away!) stories were the same...."I've had this small bump all my life & it just recently got huge & inflamed".

Phoenixbird: I thought of you w/ yours on your eyebrow. If inflamed, the cyst sack could spread to the eye region...and surgical incision could be larger than if you had it removed today. Sounds like the sack doesn't shrink or go away in time...thus surgical removal. Something to think about...ouch! =:0

Respected Contributor

On 2/14/2014 poshparis said:

I've had one, but not on my face, years ago. There is something you can buy that will make it come to a head, and it's little pads for boils. I would run hot water over them and put on the cyst. I then sterilized a needle and made a hole in the cyst and well, the rest is pretty gross, but I don't have a scar. If you lance it, by slicing it open, it probably would have a small scar, but I'd let a dr. do that.

I did that, except I do have a hole in my lip, similar to a lip ring but not through and through. I used a sterile 22 gauge needle. It really didn't hurt, but it was the size of a large pea. When I mother found out, I was 12 at the time, she took me to the doctor. He said that he couldn't have done it any better. The larger the cyst, the more likely a hole is left from the puncture or from surgery to remove it.

Occasional Contributor

I agree with letting a doctor handle it. I went to the derm several years ago to have him look at a mole. He said the mole was fine, but he was worried about the bump on my eyebrow area. It had been there a while, and I thought it was just a little cyst. It ended up being a basal cell carcinoma. He removed it, and I have a little t-shaped scar. You can't really see it.

Respected Contributor

Had one where the nose pad from my glasses rested on the side of the nose: derm. removed it. The two on my lower cheek were also removed: one tiny scar quickly faded; the other was larger and has shrunk considerably over time so it's hardly noticeable. Didn't have Mederma then. Makeup correctly used works even more magic!!!! HTH.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill