Respected Contributor

Hair Cut Question

[ Edited ]

Can anyone tell me why at the Salon when I get my hair trimmed, the stylist will clip the hair up and then take a clip out and comb it out then cut the ends of my hair . They do that several times.  

Im wondering why dont they just trim along the 

ends of hair ?Man Surprised

Honored Contributor

I would suggest you ask the stylist.  

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday   They all do this at any salon though.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

@Nonametoday   They all do this at any salon though.

@FlowerBear   They get hair out of the way in patches, sotospeak, as it does not fall down in the way of them seeing what they are doing or cutting hair from an area unintentionally and making the hair two different lengths.  

Have you ever painted a room and taped off the woodwork so you would not get paint on them?  It's similar. You are keeping the hair out of the way so you can see what you are doing and not cutting hair that should not be cut.  You might as well be blindfolded if you have hair falling down in the way of what you are doing.

Honored Contributor

Trimming hair off one section at a time makes for a cleaner cut. If the cutting is done with too much hair then that can look uneven or jagged and then more cutting needs to be done to even things out....not good.

Esteemed Contributor

It's because they cut in sections. Every stylist I ever went to cut that way, and they never got it right, anyway!

Except....

Just this week I went to my DDs stylist who did not cut in sections! His cutting was so precise! The length was perfect and even all around! After he did that initial cut, then he put in the layers.

The only other really good hair cut I got was when the stylist cut from the top down (and not the other usual way of cutting in sections - bottom first.) Next time I went to her, she did it the old way. And did it that way the next time. I stopped going to her, because it never came out right. Besides, she had distractions, her little girls allowed in the salon.

Regular Contributor

Re: Hair Cut Question

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear, I always thought the purpose of doing that was to get a more precise cut. By working section by section, the beautician can correct for slight variations in hair thickness, texture, and the way hair can lay (for example cowlicks). With closer attention, each area can be made to blend more seamlessly with the next, giving you a more professional result. 

Honored Contributor

My guess is that they're putting in "weight lines" so support your cut.

Honored Contributor

You should ask the stylist.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

They clip up the hair to cut it because that is the way they were taught to cut hair.  I first started cosmetology school  back in 1970 and it was taught even then.

You get a better, more precise cut.  Imagine cutting through several layers of fabric and trying to get clean lines.  In addition, some styles are cut with each layer a little bit longer then the one underneath to get the hair to turn under, or each layer a bit shorter to get the hair to flip up. There are other techniques to get the hair to behave a certain way that must be done by cutting a layer at a time.

I would worry if my stylist just combed all my hair down and snipped off the ends.  I don't even cut straight across bangs that way.