Esteemed Contributor

Hair stylists are taught to cut a style into each small section, and the sections will all mesh together when done.

Barbers are taught to cut the style into the natural growth pattern of the overall head of hair.

I have textured, difficult hair. One of the best cuts I ever got was from a barber, who was correcting a stylist's cut from the previous day.

Just another way of approaching the same goal.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBearI've been having my hair professionally cut once a month for over 50 years now and have never had any stylist do that.  

My hair is fairly straight.  Is yours curly?  Maybe that makes a difference???

Honored Contributor

It's to prevent having a 'chopped' look that you would get by just cutting across all of the hair at the bottom.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

This is how they get the hair cut evenly. They cannot take the entire head of hair and cut it all at once. It would not drape properly. I do the same thing; take the clip out, cut that hair, comb, take the next section out, cut, comb, etc. 

Respected Contributor

@millieshops   Stylists I have gone to all seem to do this, my hair is straight Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. It makes sense to me now Smiley Happy Never have I thought to ask any stylist lol.  But now I know the reason Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@FlowerBear  Mine does the same thing. She said thats how you get it right from every angle.

Contributor

I think that's just how they do it. More precise than just to trim it right away.