Honored Contributor

I still stand by not using hot or very warm water to cleanse. Washing or rinsing with hot water is a major cause of dry skin, flaking and redness. It's any easy thing to avoid and I would start there if nothing else.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Shanus ...the issue has been long standing.  I don't use the 10x mirrror to examine my skin...I cannot see to apply make up with out it!  I have quit using my  daily scrub product, don't over scrub when washing, I use cetaphil daily.

@Mom2Dogs 

If the issue [of flaking] has been long standing, that indicates to me that you may be using too harsh a product. Or using it too frequently.

I think Paula's Choice may still offer an 8%, which may be more suitable to use daily. Alpha offers a more gentle glycolic; so does Mario Badescu.

Unless you have good reason to go with a heavy chem exfoliation. I would rather use a more daily, but gentle approach. Don't forget that your skin sheds naturally on its own.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa ...I agree with what you say but the only thing I use for exfoliation is a daily scrub..not harsh and my Clairasonic...I quit using both about a month ago and am still flaking.  

I noticed that since I started using the glycolic lotion on my legs and arms, the skin around my nails looked better, not as dry, so I wondered if I could use is on my face.  Last night was the first I tried it on my face, I'll give it a bit and see how my skin reacts.

I did do two rounds of Accutane as a young adult for acne and have read that it can really dry out the skin...thanks for the reply.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Are you using any BHA products?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee No, well not that I am aware of....I only use cetaphil to wash my face...(quit using the daily scrub a month or so ago) Dr.  Denese hydroshield and a moisutre product.......usually a Dr Denese product but currently using Bobbi Brown....I don't like using a lot of products.

Other than the flakes my 64 year old skin is in really good shape, very few wrinkles and a few age spots...which are my fault, I did not use sun screen when I should have, but I do now!!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Have used gycolic AHA - do not use Retin A.  Just make sure you use a sunscreen along with the AHA

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs do a test patch.  I like glycolic acid and think it works for flakes.  I would go very slow, maybe twice a week.  

Avon makes these pads with glycolic acid that work well.