Frequent Contributor

I am turning 70 in........let me see..........22 days and have been trying to settle on some skin care for my aging skin and realizing just HOW MUCH there is out there. I right now have Elemis, Dr. Raj, PTR, Josie Maran and more in my bathroom and am about to throw it all out!  I have always looked younger than I am and would like to keep it that way, but idk anymore. My mother used Pond's Cold Cream as a moisturizer every night of her life and died at 91 looking as good as anybody.  In particular, does anybody have an opinion on PTR retinol? I bought that huge jar in a TSV and did not see the results. Started using it on my arms to use it up and didn't really see any difference there either. Thanks for any and all input..........sign me "mostly venting".

Regular Contributor

My Mom used nothing on her skin but Noxzema. She had gorgeous skin, but she died in her mid 60's so I don't know how she may have aged. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Getting dizzy!!

[ Edited ]

Both of my grandmothers used Pond's Cold Cream as a cleanser and Oil of Olay as moisturizer and they both had amazing skin.  Back then there were no serums, no eye creams, no essences, etc.  The skin care industry wants us to believe that certain things are necessary, but not really.  You need to find whatever works for you.  In my opinion the only skin care items that are every day essentials are: a good cleanser (one that doesn't strip the skin, but cleanses it throughly to remove all impurities), a good moisturizer according to skin type and definitely a good SPF.  For a few times a week add something to remove dead skin cells (again according to skin type) maybe a scrub, mask or peel.  Those are enough to prevent skin damage, but aging is a part of life and something is going to pop somewhere and when that happens then it's time for targeted treatments and/or a visit to a dermatologist.

Respected Contributor
I agree, PTR doesn't do anything.
Right now I'm using Consult Beaute regenorol line...the pads, serum, and moisturizer, and I do see results. Clearer, and luminous skin. Don't buy it unless Evine runs a sale, about $59 for the set. They'll be on the 10th. As for eye cream, the only one that completely wipes out lines is Shiseido Benefiance in the little gold cap jar, THE BEST!
Esteemed Contributor

@joanluvz, welcome to your 70s (almost) - I turned 70 last March. It might be my age, but I'm into the "simpler is just fine" mode as long as it's consistent. I've discovered Micellar water (I use CeraVe) as my cleanser, and it's absolutely awesome. I've used Dr. Denese Facial Firming pads at night for years and I follow that up with CeraVe moisturizer. Daytime routine is Aveeno Serum and CeraVe moisturizer. I also use Gold Bond Neck moisturizer daily. I have relatively few wrinkles for my age and I haven't seen anything negative from my simple and relatively inexpensive beauty routine. Except for Dr. Denese, I can get everything I need from my Walgreen's.

Frequent Contributor

Love it, jannabelle!  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

I threw it all away.  That anti aging stuff was giving me mild rosacia and irritating my face.  I use simple cleanser, moisturizers and a serum only   Plus sun screen when I go out. 

My skin has never looked better.  I think at best it can keep your skin in a balanced state.  As you get older and your skin thins you can really do some damage with a lot of this stuff. 

Respected Contributor

I find only the basics are necessary for me. I use a serum, moisturizer and eye cream. At night I use a heavier moisturizer. Once a week I use Drunk Elephant Sukari  Babyfacial. My moisturizer contains sunscreen. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner, I so agree with you - I did the same thing and threw it all out 6 years ago. Life is simpler now and my skin thanks me!

Trusted Contributor

Like the others, i agree, keep it simple. 

I do use PTR and it works great for me.  Everybody is different. 

What i think is probably the most important is cleansing and I have to say, best ever is CeraVe.  I changed from Purity to CerVe years ago at the rec of my dermatologist and my skin did a 360- Rosacea gone, everything 1000% better. 

I use the CeraVe body moisturizer and the hydrating cleanser.  Nothing better- gave the Perricone to my sister (who loves it) donated much of the other stuff and tossed the rest.