Honored Contributor

Re: General question --- How many people here just stick to one lipstick or gloss?

@jackthebear wrote:

why would I want to ?Cat Happy

@jackthebear

Yes, I understand!  So much to choose from!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: General question --- How many people here just stick to one lipstick or gloss?

@Harpa wrote:

Variety is the spice of life, and that's what I like in choosing a lip color for the day. So many shades look nice on me, so I don't think I could ever stick to just one. I will buy a single, but I love lip palettes, too!  For me, color first, then formulation.

If I wear eye liner, however, I generally stick to what looks the most flattering - defined, yet not obtrusive.

I don't play around with eye shadow colors any more.

@AngelPuppy1

What Cover Girl shade are you loving?

@Harpa

It is Cover Girl -- Ravishing Rose.  It has some frosting to it.  I only like frost occasionally and then not a ton in my lipsticks.  This color is just perfect for me and is so nice for the summer!  I am in love with it and purchased 3 tubes!!!  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

ME!   LOL!  I have one, no, two for spring/summer and one that is amazingly perfect for fall winter!  It's semi transparent and the color of a candied apple.  Clinique Heather Moon.

Image result for clinique heather moon lipstick

@ECBG

That's a beautiful shade!  

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone!  I can't even say how many lipsticks, glosses, stains, balms, etc. that I own!  It's crazy!  I love trying different ones out, so for me to stick with just one for so long is unheard of!

It must be very liberating though to have a set of makeup - just 1 (or 2) of everyything.  

It's fun reading all of your responses!  

Respected Contributor

Angelpuppy1 you described me perfectly.  I can love a lipstick for a month or two and then decide it looks awful and on to something else.  I rarely buy the same thing twice except for cleanser.  As far as using a makeup product till it is gone..never happened.   

Esteemed Contributor

I have never been a monogamous lipstick/lipglosss girl.  That category of makeup has always been one where women of color could have some fun.  You younger ladies won't know anything about the days when women of color had extremely limited (at a few brands)-to no choices in foundations and blush in mainstream stores.  We had to mix and blend (often buying several products to create our unique colors at home).  Lipstick was one product which had universal color options, so as a teen it became my carefree fun purchase item in makeup.  

Fast forward 50 years and I'm still weak for lip color products.  It doesn't requires a hard sell to get me to buy new lip color.  I have my favorite tones and almost every one of the more than 40 lip color products bear that out.  My preference is brownish tones with a hint of red.  Two favorites are:

Lancome L'Absolu Rouge, 283 Henne, Women'sLancome's Henne 

Lipstick Queen Saint Rouge

Lipstick Queen Women's Saint Sheer Lipstick-burgundy

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

ME!   LOL!  I have one, no, two for spring/summer and one that is amazingly perfect for fall winter!  It's semi transparent and the color of a candied apple.  Clinique Heather Moon.

Image result for clinique heather moon lipstick

@ECBG

That's a beautiful shade!  

@AngelPuppy1,Try it out the next time you pass a Clinique counter.  It's longer lasting.

Honored Contributor

When I was younger, I was an impulse buyer and spent WAY too much money on a variety of colors, such as palettes ...  most of them were only okay, but I wanted "perfect".    I gave a lot of makeup to my sisters.

Of course, nothing is worse than finding THE right shade of something .....  only to learn it's discontinued!   Been down that road too many times, as well.  

These days, I'm a lot more selective with makeup colors.  I've still got an assortment, but I skip the palettes and odd colors I might wear once, and that's it.   

For efficiency on busy mornings, I've finally found the right colors of foundation (mineral), blush and eye shadow, and I trade off on the lipstick shades.    I've got a few, but I've finally found THE shade that is very flattering to my skin tone and just lights up my face.   How can I beat that?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I tend to use one lipgloss 99% of the time. It is the perfect berry color for me. Every time I try something different I end up applying the berry gloss over it. I don't own a ton of different shades in other products either. Once I find something I like I stick to it. When my favorite is discontinued it is can be very difficult to try to find a replacement. I guess that is a drawback to having a limited list of faves.  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I know women who have and use 1 lip product, one eye shadow, one blush, etc.

I don't kow how they do it!  I have neve been able to stick to just one product and use it only until it is gone!  I wish I could!  I always wanted to find my go-to colors and products and just be satified with them. It would be much cheaper and more simple!

How many here just use, for instance, one lipstick or gloss shade?  

I recently found a Cover Girl shade of lipstick that I am currently enamoured with and have been using it and only it for 2 months!  Shocking!  I have never done this.  Usually, I am changing lipsticks/glosses every day.

Don't know how long this love affair will last. ??????

As for other makeup products/shades, I never really like any of them enough to remain faithful!

Thanks for posting your reply! 

@AngelPuppy1

I can't imagine why anyone would want to stick to just one of anything. Well, maybe foundation, but even that can change with occasion, weather, time of year, etc. 

I have a lot of fun with my eye makeup, using different colors, combinations, etc. All for a subtle light look. I'd never want to give that up!

Lip colors for me change a bit with occasion and what I wear; sometimes a bit more dusty rose, other times just a hint of peach to my shade, still others call for a deeper rose shade.