Contributor

Gel nail polish...............

Ok, I don't fully understand these. I have tried the Mally gel polishes, and it was really hard getting them off, a lot of scraping, and it did not leave my nails in the best of condition. It weakened them from all the soaking, scraping, etc. to remove the gel nail polish.

I know gel nail poishes are supposed to last 2 weeks, that is the reason they're the big thing right now. The kits in the drug store also have the drying machines they sell attached to them.

Isn't there a gel polish that doesn't require that kind of soaking off ritual, where you can just use regular nail polish remover so you don't continue to damage and weaken your nails?

Honored Contributor

Re: Gel nail polish...............

@puppies4me wrote:

Ok, I don't fully understand these. I have tried the Mally gel polishes, and it was really hard getting them off, a lot of scraping, and it did not leave my nails in the best of condition. It weakened them from all the soaking, scraping, etc. to remove the gel nail polish.

I know gel nail poishes are supposed to last 2 weeks, that is the reason they're the big thing right now. The kits in the drug store also have the drying machines they sell attached to them.

Isn't there a gel polish that doesn't require that kind of soaking off ritual, where you can just use regular nail polish remover so you don't continue to damage and weaken your nails?

All good questions, I just tried this product today at the salon.

Respected Contributor

i get a gel manicure about every 3 weeks and what she does is to apply cotton pads soaked with polish remover to my nails and then wrap with aluminum foil.

i then have to sit for up to 20 minutes and when she removes the foil and cotton, the polish just peels off.

i think gel polish is the greatest thing going because my nails are strong and it doesn't chip. also, it's less expensive in the long run because i don't go as often.

i know there are many who have had problems, but luckily i'm not one of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I, too have my Gel Nails professionally done. I get them removed and a new set applied every 4th visit. My natural nails have always remained healthy since switching to gel nails from acrylics, and my nail tech has never had to scrape them; I soak them off (each nail is wrapped individually so that my hands aren't sitting in a bowl of acetone) which is much gentler. Mine last 5 weeks on between visits. I'd hate to have to get them done every 2 weeks. I'm sure the removal technique has a lot to do with the nail's health.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

Gel nails and gel nail polish are two different nails. Gel nails are a replacement for acrylic nails, gel polish is nail polish that goes on like nail polish but requires a 30-60 second led light to dry. If you go to the drugstore brands like Revlon, Sally Hansen and others have what they call a gel polish that needs no light and comes off easily. I've tried these and they last a little longer but not 2 weeks like real gel polish. I like gel polish and do my own. I like Gelish and IBD. I have no damage to my nails. I think it may depend on the individual. I also don't do them all the time. I switch on and off with regular polish.

Honored Contributor

I paid for $12 for a manicure using regular polish, it 'lasted' close to 3 weeks but my nails did start to chip and split.  Today I spent $25 for a manicure using the gel polish, the technician claims it wil 'last' over 2 weeks and will make my nails stronger.  I could afford to splurge a little but I'm curious about other's experience. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@puppies4me  I've had reason to do a lot of reading recently regarding nail health and manicures. I agree with the other posters regarding removal. If scraping is required, then you are not soaking your nails long enough. A small cotton ball soaked in pure acetone placed on the nail, then covered with aluminum foil should do the trick. Whatever length of time the polish line suggests is most likely the minimum time. If the gel doesn't come off easily, then re-cover the nail and leave it on longer. You shouldn't have to scrape.

There's a lot of science involved in the proper use and curing of gel polishes. They are not for me because I seldom leave any polish on more than a day or two. But I've found the information I've learned very interesting and informative. Let's just say that without obtaining a great deal more knowledge I would never mix brands and I would follow the instructions of whatever brand I was using carefully, including using the recommended light. I much rather be safe than have to deal with the potential problems that could result from using a wrong combination.

Honored Contributor

I never get my nails professionally done. I do and have always done them myself. I did like the look of the (new) gel polishes though. I've been having great success using the gel polishes that you get the same look but don't need the light. And they come off very easily with any remover! I use Avon, Essie, Sally Hanson, to name a few. Ever since I started using these gel polishes I've finally have gotten compliments on my naills!!

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I get gel polish on my natural nail done about every three weeks, I love them and have zero issues. My nail tech has told me I have very healthy nails and try are strong and grow fast. My sister and I use the same tech but she has to go every two weeks, her nails are thinner than mine and neither of us have ever worn acrylic nails. Our tech suit a cotton bail soaked and wraps the nail with aluminum and they peel right off. My friend hates gel and says she doesn't have the same result but she has worn acrylic nails for ten years and imp has very unhealthy nails which maybe the reason for no success for her.
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
I get gel polish on my natural nail done about every three weeks, I love them and have zero issues. My nail tech has told me I have very healthy nails and try are strong and grow fast. My sister and I use the same tech but she has to go every two weeks, her nails are thinner than mine and neither of us have ever worn acrylic nails. Our tech suit a cotton bail soaked and wraps the nail with aluminum and they peel right off. My friend hates gel and says she doesn't have the same result but she has worn acrylic nails for ten years and imp has very unhealthy nails which maybe the reason for no success for her.

@NativeJax...I wore acrylic nails for 20+ years before switching to gel nails and they are healthier than ever before. Perhaps suggest to your sister to use Tea Tree oil,on her cuticles to help her new nailsgrow the n healthy. That is exactly what I did and it made a world of difference. I use WEN, but I'm sure most brands would work the same. I started off with a drop on each nail several times a day (minimum 2x/day) and within 6 months you'd never know I had worn acrylics for 20+ years. 6 months may sound like a long time, but My nails were shot from acrylics. Now I only use it at night as part of my skin care routine to keep my cuticles soft.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.