Respected Contributor

@Midmod I have dry skin but I find powder foundation works best for me and doesn't emphasize lines or texture. 

Trusted Contributor
@Texasmouse
Can you recommend a powder foundation for me to try? Something relatively inexpensive? Thank you
Respected Contributor

@Midmod the only two brands I've tried are Laura Geller (I prefer the Balance and Brighten to the Double Wear) and the one by Pur. They're not drugstore priced but if you watch for sales, you can get great deals. Laura Geller is always having sales. HTH

Trusted Contributor
Ty 👍
Honored Contributor

I'm sure not an expert but it sounds like maybe for one thing you are using the wrong primer.  They have special ones for oily skin.  Or maybe you don't even need a primer???  And perhaps you need to change your moisturizer to one that is oil free.  

As for foundation, since you are oily, probably a powder foundation would be better.  I would try Laura Geller B&B.  It might be just the thing for you.  She has several different primers also.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Happy2000twou    Every layer of skincare affects the way foundation looks. I'd try foundation alone and then add one thing back underneath...serums, moisturrizer, primers, spfs, etc. Even cleanser can dry out skin or make it too oily.

Sometimes overly cleansed or exfoliated skin "screams" for more oil and causes an issue. 

Respected Contributor

@Happy2000twou I also have oily skin (at 67!), I cleanse and moisturize. Once a week, I use a gentle scrub for exfoliation.

I quit using primers sometime back, because they just didn't make any noticeable difference to me, whether I was using liquid or powder foundation. Now I've also given up on liquid foundation. 

Laura Geller's Balance & Brighten works best for me. I also use her blushes. After my makeup is complete except for lip gloss, I spray it lightly with WEN Replenishing Treatment Mist, and it lasts all day. I never touch up anything but lipgloss, though I do sometimes blot around my T-zone with a tissue.

I don't miss primer at all!

Honored Contributor

smashbox makes a great spray primer......have you tried that?

i have tried so many primers and always go back to smashbox......in a tube or the spray. both work well for me. i have normal to oily skin.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein