Trusted Contributor

There was a thread on the First Aid ultra repair cream recently -- I think the OP was glmama? I've had some flakiness around my mouth lately due to Retin-A and I'm sure because of the winter weather, too. My usual regimen of CeraVe hydrating cleanser and moisturizer wasn't helping much, so I used a sample I had of the repair cream a couple of times and bye, bye flakes!

I'm considering ordering the duo of the small sizes of cleanser and repair cream and just wondering if anyone's tried the cleanser. The duo is pretty well priced even with the high shipping. Sephora charges $10 each for the 2 oz. sizes of the cleanser and cream, so QVC's duo is cheaper.

Frequent Contributor

I have not tried their cleanser, but I did get the Black Friday deal from Sephora which included it and gave it to my mother to use. She like it, but did say it did dry out her skin slightly. She loves their body cream because she is very sensitive to scents and their cream does not bother her at all and she says it is very moisturizing.

Valued Contributor

Hi Vaccinia!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I think it WAS me. I started a thread last week or so about my recent fave discoveries (new to me, stuff, that is). I ADORE the FAB cream. And when I first tried it I bought a small duo that was leftover at Sephora from their Black Friday promotions. I got to try small samples of both the cream and the cleanser. I really like the cleanser and it did not dry my skin or cause any irritation at all. I am in LOVE however, with the Tatcha cleansing oil, so that's what I use primarily. But it's a little pricey and I am switching things up each night. And I was using the FAB cleanser and it was just fine. Didn't WOW me like the Tatcha, but I think it's a pretty good product. And if I didn't have any adverse reaction to it AND my skin did not feel stripped after using it. Hope that helps a bit. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Contributor

I have the FAB face wash and love it. I am only slightly dry, but tend to have a big problem finding a cleanser that works well but is potent enough without being too potent. That said, the FAB face wash is pearlescent cream that turns into a frothy cleanser akin to something like the Lauder foaming cleansers, Shiseido or Origins Checks n Balances. Those tend to be a bit drying so the FAB worried me at first, but didn't dry me out at all. I think the cleansing agent used is far more gentle. And I love that it is fragrance and color free. If you are severely dry though you might needs something a bit more for dry skin. Perhaps you should stick with a non foaming, lotion style cleanser. But something that has a bit more cleansing power than the Cerave. Paula's Choice Resist Optimal Results Cleanser is fantastic. I've used it for years. Lotion style, no foaming action. But cleanses really well. The corresponding Resist Toner is also great for soothing dry, irritated skin. It's a milky toner, no alcohol or irritating ingredients. Sort of like a liquid serum. I find that when I'm having a bad dry spell using that combination and especially using the toner to restore my skin lipid barrier really makes a huge difference vs. just using a serum or moisturizer after cleansing. When I use the FAB cleanser I still use a well formulated toner (alcohol & irritant free of course) after for the same reason. As a side note worth mentioning; although you are using Retin-A.... also be careful because certain toothpaste can cause a reaction. I cannot use the new style/formula of toothpastes that come in the small, slim, standup containers with the flip top. After a few days the skin on either side of my mouth will crack open and I get severe dryness around my lips. I have a relative that has the same reaction who was convinced it was her lipstick. I asked her what toothpaste she was using, then told her to stop. The issue cleared up in a matter of days.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone! I actually have pretty oily skin, but it gets dry in the winter, so I'm hoping the First Aid cleanser and repair cream might be a good solution. There doesn't seem to be anything in the ingredients that is likely to break me out.

Also, it never dawned on me that it could be the toothpaste! I did recently start using Supersmile, so maybe that's the problem.

x123, can you tell me what you use as an alternative (something that doesn't have the flip top)?

Contributor
On 1/27/2015 vaccinia said:

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone! I actually have pretty oily skin, but it gets dry in the winter, so I'm hoping the First Aid cleanser and repair cream might be a good solution. There doesn't seem to be anything in the ingredients that is likely to break me out.

Also, it never dawned on me that it could be the toothpaste! I did recently start using Supersmile, so maybe that's the problem.

x123, can you tell me what you use as an alternative (something that doesn't have the flip top)?

I actually use Crest 3D White. My hygienist turned me on to it saying she'd had people have improvement in their gums using it. So I have been using it awhile. Actually, any more traditional "tube" toothpaste seems to work OK as I also am a fan of the baking soda and peroxide toothpaste. It's those darn gel ones in those containers I described. It must be whatever is the different cleansing agent in them or something but it's just awful how it makes the skin around my mouth crack open.

Honored Contributor

I haven't tried the FAB cleanser, but I really like all of the FAB products I've tried. I have family members with severe dry skin and eczema and the FAB Repair Cream is one product I can safely give them as gifts.

And yes, if you are experiencing irritation around the mouth, it's always good to consider toothpaste as a culprit. Some people react badly to sodium lauryl sulfate, but it could also be something else. You may have to play around to find out.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/29/2015 x123 said:
On 1/27/2015 vaccinia said:

I actually use Crest 3D White. My hygienist turned me on to it saying she'd had people have improvement in their gums using it. So I have been using it awhile. Actually, any more traditional "tube" toothpaste seems to work OK as I also am a fan of the baking soda and peroxide toothpaste. It's those darn gel ones in those containers I described. It must be whatever is the different cleansing agent in them or something but it's just awful how it makes the skin around my mouth crack open.

Thanks. I tried Crest 3D White last year but it gave me a strong metallic taste that actually interfered with my taste buds so much that food didn't taste right even hours after I'd brushed my teeth.

Trusted Contributor

cleanser stung my eyes {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}