Respected Contributor

Re: Firing Someone With Dreadlocks

can you wash your hair with dreads or do you have to undo it & redo it? I think of Whoopie. I am white and don't understand. taking a shower you get them wet so do you use shampoo & leave them in place? We praid our hair but unbraid wash & redo. I always wonder how it works. Seems good you don't have to mess with your hair everyday but will want to shampoo it.

Honored Contributor

As I type this post, I am calming my fingers to protect my keyboard.  Here we are in 2019 and there has to be regulated, legal guidelines to protect the right of people to wear their hair as it grows out of their scalp!  This isn't just about dreads or braids, it's about afros, and textures deemed not "straight enough." Read the entire guideline.

This removes the false narrative that it's about dress code, or cleanliness of hair.  It has nothing to do with either of those things.

The new guidelines give legal recourse to individuals who have been harassed, threatened, punished, demoted or fired because of the texture or style of their hair. 

To the posters that believe dreads and or braids equal unclean, you have your opinion, as stereotypical and wrong as it is.  I have seen straight hair that obviously hasn't been washed in weeks, and no one blinks an eye. 

Here's just one example of dreads/locs.  Toni Morrison -- Pulitzer Prize, and Nobel Prize in Literature.

toni morrison.jpg

An example of cornrows; unknown model shown: 

cornrows.jpg

This is not about dirty hair.  This is about clean, beautiful hair, that defies being straight for anyone else's comfort level or acceptance.

I've seen enough comments on this forum about a certain host's new fuller, curly hairstyle, and some of the model's hair.  Those comments I'm referencing have nothing to do with seeing the jewelry or clothes either. 

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

As I type this post, I am calming my fingers to protect my keyboard.  Here we are in 2019 and there has to be regulated, legal guidelines to protect the right of people to wear their hair as it grows out of their scalp!  This isn't just about dreads or braids, it's about afros, and textures deemed not "straight enough." Read the entire guideline.

This removes the false narrative that it's about dress code, or cleanliness of hair.  It has nothing to do with either of those things.

The new guidelines give legal recourse to individuals who have been harassed, threatened, punished, demoted or fired because of the texture or style of their hair. 

To the posters that believe dreads and or braids equal unclean, you have your opinion, as stereotypical and wrong as it is.  I have seen straight hair that obviously hasn't been washed in weeks, and no one blinks an eye. 

Here's just one example of dreads/locs.  Toni Morrison -- Pulitzer Prize, and Nobel Prize in Literature.

toni morrison.jpg

cornrows.jpg

This is not about dirty hair.  This is about clean, beautiful hair, that defies being straight for anyone else's comfort level or acceptance.

I've seen enough comments on this forum about a certain host's new fuller, curly hairstyle, and some of the model's hair.  Those comments I'm referencing have nothing to do with seeing the jewelry or clothes either. 

Bravo, @Caaareful Shopper. You did an excellent job in remaining calm and very persuasive. Please know that many of us understand the issue and the need for more knowledge and awareness. Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

@sissel wrote:

can you wash your hair with dreads or do you have to undo it & redo it? I think of Whoopie. I am white and don't understand. taking a shower you get them wet so do you use shampoo & leave them in place? We praid our hair but unbraid wash & redo. I always wonder how it works. Seems good you don't have to mess with your hair everyday but will want to shampoo it.

@sissel  Yes, dreadlocks are washable. They are not removed. In fact, the hair itself is matted. The wearer simply uses a shampoo which does not leave a residue. A residue would collect in the hair, so product choice rinsing is very important.

You might have seen a year or so ago Giuliana Rancic was universally panned for saying something derogatory about a young girl Zendaya on the red carpet who was wearing a pseudo dread style. She meant to imply that she was a drug user or unclean because of her natural hair style.

So these laws are meant to combat discrimination based on race and unfair stereotypes. Even the military has only recently said AA women were not required to cut their hair off or straighten their hair which was clearly racially discriminatory. That's why all the controversy. People of color have been having to wear their hair in unnatural ways in order to conform to a standard set by the biological standard of other races and this in increasingly seen as unacceptable. 

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

toni morrison.jpg

cornrows.jpg

Bravo, @Caaareful Shopper. You did an excellent job in remaining calm and very persuasive. Please know that many of us understand the issue and the need for more knowledge and awareness. Heart

I will ditto what SuzyQ said @Caaareful Shopper .

You did a great job calming your fingers! 

Honored Contributor