Honored Contributor

Re: Firing Someone With Dreadlocks

NYC just passed a law making it illegal to discriminate against people with various hairstyles. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/new-york-city-aims-to-stop-hairstyle-discrimination/2019/02/...

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Companies and employers have a right to require a dress code and to enforce it.  I am so glad I am retired and out of the work force.  I feel sorry for managers and supervisors in today's world.  

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on the job, there are some conservative jobs or firms in which dreds or any type of extreme hairstyle would not be allowed.  

Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

Companies and employers have a right to require a dress code and to enforce it.  I am so glad I am retired and out of the work force.  I feel sorry for managers and supervisors in today's world.  

@walkingal .  The many companies I worked for starting 1968 until 2009, never had a dress code for hair. This was office work, not any type of job with machinery.

Respected Contributor

The story was on the evening news. I guess dreadlocks look different than braids.

Honored Contributor

One thing I noticed in fast food restaurants no one wears a hairnet.  That should be mandatory.  As far as fancy sit down restaurants, everyone in the kitchen should wear one.  I am talking everyone not just dreadlocks.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VenturaHighway  @Birki Lady @JustJazzmom 

I read an article in the NYTimes today about just this same topic too. New York City is investigating discrimination complaints at the upper east side salon Sharon Dorrum Color at Sally Herschberger. It sounds like a hot mess. Lawsuits have been filed. I can only shake my head with sadness and disgust.

Esteemed Contributor

I am in my 60's and every job that I had.....there was a dress code.

Honored Contributor

I don't know what the backstory is so...

If you apply for a job and the job description states "No XYZ" and then you show up with XYZ and are fired, it's your fault. EOD.

Good friend works for a large company that CLEARLY states the dress code as well as personal grooming; what is and is not allowed. EVERY employee signs a document that not only do they agree to comply but they have READ and UNDERSTAND what is says. The company provides the documents in multiple languages as well as a translator so there are NOT misunderstandings. 

A young woman came to work with her hair dyed bright blue with pink streaks. She was fired. Why? The company states that NO hair color beyond what is found in Nature is allowed on men or women. No exception. She signed all the documents knowing this. She sued. She lost. 

Honored Contributor

Read the link in @JustJazzmom's post. This issue is not about just hairstyle preferences.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland