Occasional Contributor

Re: Finacea or Metro Gel users??

I have used both Finacea and Metrogel. Neither have been particularly helpful to me. I was prescribed these mainly for the bumps associated with rosacea and told that neither of them would help much with redness. There is a fairly new treatment out just for redness (I think it's been out for about a year), called Mirvaso. I haven't tried it yet because my Dr. didn't want me to try more than one topical at a time, and she was starting me on the Finacea. Maybe you can ask your doc about the Mirvaso if redness is your main concern. Hope you find what works for you. Let us know if you try the Mirvaso.

Trusted Contributor

In 6 years I have only had two Rosacea outbreaks and they lasted for about two weeks. The first time my dermatologist gave me a Rx for Metro Gel . I used it for two weeks and the Rosacea was gone. Didn't get another flare up until this summer (6 years later) and it was caused from sitting out in the sun . I had no metro gel but I did have Retin A so I tried it and it totally cleared it up. When I saw my Dermatologist she told me that sometims Retin A is also prescribed for Rosacea. Maybe it's worth you giving it a try. Added benefit is that it eliminates lines and makes your skin look young and beautiful.
Frequent Contributor

DANIELLE thanks for the info on retin a, I used it in my 20s & 30s before I got rosacea and loved it I may ask about that.
Super Contributor

On 11/1/2014 bosmamaa said: Thanks cassiem, do you mind telling me what works good for you? I am always just curious, looking for options. You are right about everyone being different!

When I have a really bad flare, oral antibiotics help to calm things down. Topically I've had really good luck with retinoids. My dermatologist had me start with over the counter retinol and then very slowly worked my way up to Retin-a. Over the past year I've had several bad flares and my skin became hyper sensitive, and I had to stop the Retin-a. My Dermatologist switched me to Differin, which is a milder retinoid, and it's been working really well for me.

Honored Contributor

I used Metro Lotion and then Metro Gel for year by itself with no change (it didn't get better and it didn't get worse).

I switched Derms and she put me on Retin A and Metro Gel (I use Metro Gel in the morning under makeup and Retin A at night). The Retin A is what makes the difference. It allows the Metro Gel to get in deep in the skin and do it's thing.

I have almost no redness anymore. I have had to change my foundation colors over the last few years to account for less redness.

It's not an immediate thing, it took about a full year before I noticed the improvement.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I have a prescripton for Finacea for my chest (I can't use Retin A on my chest because the skin is too thin there). I am waiting to reach my deductible to try it (it's $250 now, $20 after I reach my deductible for the year).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN