Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Not to sound like a broken record, but Bobbi Brown offers tinted moisturizer in too many shades to list. So does other higher end lines. Sometimes a drugstore product can’t fit the bill and foundations, concealers need to match exactly. That’s your “perfect canvas”. Get it wrong and all makeup will look “off”....(loosely quoting my mentor, Bobbi Brown, herself). After spending extra time and yes, money on that, you can use all other drugstore products. 

I will also add, drugstore foundations, BBs, CCs, etc. are displayed under harsh lighting, rarely “pulled” on a regular basis and also no testers available. Time and money better spent, going to counter, getting matched & then have at it at CVS, etc. Dept. store foundations, etc. are replaced by manufacturers about every 3 months, kept in drawers away from the light, usually in a box to further protect the integrity of the formulation...less chance of oxidation, too. 

***If you can’t get to a dept. store, many sites provide easy matching criteria...warm, cool, numbering from light, medium, dark and in between and photos of women you can match your skin tone to. Some knowing it’s more difficult ordering online, offer chats, free shipping/free returns. 

Don’t like pulling out the “professional card”, but over 35 years of experience counts for something, right? 

What is your 35 years of experience?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   Oh sorry, I didn’t explain further. I’m trained as an esthetician and have also been a makeup artist for over 30 years. I was working with Bobbi Brown in NY when she started her company....lots of great experience from one of the best. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Quinny   I think oxidation was explained very thoroughly in another post here. It can sometimes be prevented by wearing a primer which provides a barrier between the skin’s oils and your foundation. 

***Vit. C serums oxidize very quickly, usually packaged in a dark bottle to help prevent this. I pour off 1/2 into another dark, dropper bottle I’ve saved & refrigerate until ready to use. Hint: don’t let the dropper touch your hand or face & put back in the bottle...turns yellow faster. Once it begins to turn the color of “pee”, it’s lost half of its potency. 

@Shanus  I'm quite familiar with the oxidation process and precautions that must be taken when using Vitamin C serum. This is the first time I've ever hear the term used as it relates to face makeup.   

Esteemed Contributor

I like the IT CC Cream a lot.  It covers well and doesn't look cakey.  

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite BB or CC Cream

[ Edited ]

@Quinny 

There was a recent thread about Lumene products so I'll just add what I posted there.

I've been using Lumene CC cream for several years.  Here's why:

1. It matches my skin color and doesn't turn me tangerine.

2. Easy application with my fingers.

3. Only need a pea-size blob to get great coverage.

4. Looks natural.

5. Improves my skin -- no breakouts, either.

6. I don't carry cosmetics with me, so my makeup has to work overtime.  Stays put long after my 12.5-hour shift.

7. Price has increased to $14.99 a tube but I used to buy it for much less.  But that's still under $20.  Which is what I paid when I was desperate and found a more expensive tube on Amazon.  Worth it.  Tube lasts a looooong time.

8. One of the first things I grabbed when my house burned.

9. Since it feels more like skincare than makeup, I wear it every day.

10. No offensive scent.

It's available on Target's website.  I used to be able to find it at Walgreens, CVS, Dermstore and Ulta but that's no longer the case.  I don't know how long Target will offer Lumene products but once they disappear I'll be in a world of hurt.

I will tell you that I've been thinking about alternatives in case this happens.  One is Merle Norman's CC cream.

Coverage: Light. Finish: Semi-Matte. For all skin types. See uneven skin tone and fine lines disappear with this multi-benefit complexion corrector that gives you the benefits of a skin care product, sunscreen and light foundation — all in one! Its innovative matrix of skin-benefiting ingredients includes Watermelon Rind, Lentil Fruit and Apple Extracts, clinically proven to deliver both immediate and long-term hydration, and a tripeptide that improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also features Lumiesse, which contains a stable version of Vitamin C to deliver youthful radiance. Supremely silky, the lightweight formula imparts light coverage to even out skin tone, but can easily layers with primers, concealers, foundations and powders for buildable coverage as desired. It contains our highest level of sun protection in a makeup with important Broad Spectrum SPF 30 protection to help prevent the sun from prematurely aging the skin. CC the difference for yourself!

I suspect it costs much more than Lumene, but if my CC cream disappears, this is the one I'd probably try first.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm currently using Shiseido Wet Force Sports BB SPF 50+ on my face. This is a 30 ml tinted watery sunscreen that's supposed to be water resistant for 80 minutes. I bought this at Winners (part of TJX corporation that also owns T.J. Maxx and Marshalls). At the department store it sells for about $45 CDN. The sunscreen ingredients are titanium dioxide 15% and octinoxate 4.9%. It only comes in three shades - light, medium, and deep.

I mix the light and medium and a 30 ml bottle (just over 1 oz.) lasted me about 5 months. I apply this over the Shiseido sunscreen lotion SPF 50.

Edited to add that this is not a full coverage BB cream. It's more like an asian watery essence that has a fast dry down.

Taking off this BB sunscreen at night you need to do a double cleanse -- the first cleanse is an oil cleanser, the second is a detergent face cleanser.

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

By far it's the Tarte tinted BB Primer.  I was introduced to this a few years ago at Sephora when they matched me to several foundations.  Out of the ones recommended, this is one I decided to purchase and I love it.

I have gone through several tubes of this which doesn't happen with me and foundation. Normally I use up a tube/bottle and move on to something else and never return.  I have tried a few others but keep going back to this.    

Thank you, @Lipstickdiva, Do you use the Tarte tinted BB primer in addition to or instead of foundation?

@Quinny, sorry for the delay in my response.  I went out of time shortly after I posted this.

I use it as my foundation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva  My Tarte BB tinted primer came today.  What a beautiful finish,  It feels like a very light cream (almost mousse) and spreads out easily to a demi matte finish which is perfect.  Guess I will have to pay a little to get a better product.  Although I liked the Lumene, at my age I do not want to be glowing and looking silly.  Thanks for talking about the Tarte.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva  My Tarte BB tinted primer came today.  What a beautiful finish,  It feels like a very light cream (almost mousse) and spreads out easily to a demi matte finish which is perfect.  Guess I will have to pay a little to get a better product.  Although I liked the Lumene, at my age I do not want to be glowing and looking silly.  Thanks for talking about the Tarte.

@Katcat1, Yay.  I'm very glad you like it.  

Super Contributor

I just tried Clinique CC cream in Lt. Med. Shade-works very well w/my pink undertones and has a satin finish. Still have to decide if it will flare rosacea, but considering it's Clinique I shouldnt have a problem.

This has medium and buildable coverage and has held up well in 92 degrees (yes, that is the hight temp for today) w/76 percent humidity. I stay in AC until October.

I like the feel of this product which applies well and smoothly using fingertips. Only a pea size dotted around the face was needed.