Honored Contributor

Re: FOUND PRODUCT FOR NAILS WITH RIDGES

@juperier3   Thanks for clarifying some points I made.

Regular Contributor

@Shanus Thank you. But honestly I was mainly trying to express the thoughts circling around in my head without writing a book. I definitely agree with what you said.

Likely the main thing we all have in common is that we're getting older!

One additional thought floating around in my head right now is that diet definitely does play a role. But it's nowhere near as simple as "I need to get more "xxx" into my diet." Simply megadosing "xxx" because it's supposed to help with nails is leaving out many important details...some vitamins/minerals need to be taken in conjunction with others to allow proper absorbtion and/or avoid imbalances, some forms are better absorbed than others, etc. Plus there's the factor of varience in ideal amount linked to our individual body chemistry and any medical issues and/or medications involved. A "clean," well-balanced, plus a quality, well-formulated supplement if desired, is likely the best route to take for most of us.

Another thought is the length of time needed to see results. The free edge of the nail was formed (and thus reflects one's status) months earlier. Just because we've made changes for the better doesn't mean our nails will change overnight.

Ok, done rambling! Everyone feel free to throw out any other thoughts I've missed!

Honored Contributor

@juperier3   Thanks for input. I found out a few years ago not to take my iron supplement when drinking tea. It inhibits absorption. Also many of the all in one supplements for hair/nails that contain biotin and other ingredients can interfere with other prescription medications you're taking. Check with your doc before taking them. Feel free to add Shanus in your book. Lol

***Good luck writing the book. Let me know how it progresses. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus Thanks so much for sharing your great experience with the Essie ridge filling product, I've been looking for a good ridge filler for my nails. I attempted to read through the other comments but got lost somewhere in between the smoothe vs. smooth-e and the color of a previous product. Geez!  Thanks again!

Regular Contributor

@Shanus  LOL The only "book" I'm writing are the comments that so often end up being way too long! 

Taking too much Biotin can also affect a certain lab result (can't remember which test).

I was curious if the type of tea mattered. So I did a quick search for "tea and iron absorbtion" and found this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11029010ih.gov/pubmed/11029010 

It's interesting (at least to me) that one of the inhibitors to iron absorbtion (polyphenols) is also one of the reasons we are encouraged to drink tea. Let's face it, everything interacts with everything else. It's a matter of emphasizing combinations that enhance what we'd like to achieve. And minimizing or avoiding combinations that are likely to have a negative impact. Like you said, don't be drinking tea at the time you're taking your iron supplement!

Respected Contributor

Thank you. I am always looking for products to strengthen and help natural nails. After letting my gel nails go, not sure I want to go back to the having to go in every 2 and 1/2 to three weeks. I am going to continue Pedis as don't have to go in as often and they do a much better job on my aging toenails. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Purchased this and did my nails. Used on bare nails, then Hard As Nails and finished w/ Sally Hansen Gel Top Coat (black bottle).E00FA97B-6973-41EA-B1FE-E0DE4500B89B.jpeg

@Shanus I commented on this post when I first read it a couple of months ago, I was delighted to hear about a clear ridge-filling base coat, particularly when I saw you made the recommendation. My follow up question is late in coming, better late than never. You mention using Hard As Nails, I've seen two different Sally Hansen Hard As Nails offerings, one is in a blue bottle and referred to as a nail hardener. Is this the Hard As Nails product you used for your beautiful fingernails?  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Quinny   Glad you were able to tag me and ask your question. I use the famous, original, clear bottle Hard As Nails. They make a pink tinted one as well if you like a sheer pink look to your nails. Let me know how this combo works for you.

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

I have been using Beekman Cuticle Cream and that has helped immensely with some stubborn ridges. Thank you for the review. May give this a try too.