Frequent Contributor

Re: FOUND PRODUCT FOR NAILS WITH RIDGES

Do you know of anything that actually gets rid of ridges...maybe a vitamin?

Regular Contributor

@seaglass1 

I asked 'Dr. Google"  and it came up with deficiencies in protein, calcium, zinc and vit A. 

IMO, certain meds and treatments can cause this too. When my mom was going through chemo, it really took a toll on her teeth and nails.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll look for this. Did it take longer to dry? Perhaps a bit thicker liquid?

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@seaglass1 wrote:

@seaglass1 This article is from the Mayo Clinic on nail ridges and their direction.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/nails/faq-20058541

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Shanus   When I saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was Essie.   A few years back Essie had a Ridge Filler that was an off white shade and it was wonderful.  Looks like they changed it.  Essie has the best light pinks and whites.

@Katcat1  Yes, the other one Essie had was off-white and semi-transparent nail polishes were affected. This one is almost clear and dries to a matte finish almost immediately. Then ready for base coat, etc. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@seaglass1 wrote:

@seaglass1   I don't think so. Some is physical damage to the nail like the harsh filing for gel nails or banging a nail against something that damages the nail bed. In my case when I use metal files to smoothe jewelry edges, it's inevitable that the file runs along a few fingernails. Ridges can also appear on toenails. Another cause is sun damage and age. Buffing the ridges on a regular basis thins the nail, so this is the best solution for me. 

Frequent Contributor

@ECBG @Forbidden Fruit Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@seaglass1 wrote:

@ECBG @Forbidden Fruit Thank you!

@seaglass1 I always go to the Mayo Clinic.  They're the standard.

Regular Contributor

@seaglass1 First, if you suspect that your ridges (particularly horizontal ones) have medical or nutritional causes, it's probably a good idea to discuss it with your physician. 

As far as vertical ridges go, they're also a normal process as of the aging process. The nail plate is formed by the matrix (under your skin, before the nail becomes visible).In addition to the ridges due to normal aging, we can have damage to specific portions of the matrix that result in less nail production in that area. Over time these areas may heal. But if the damage was severe enough, the thinned area will be permanent. Think of it as like when you suffer a cut...a minor cut my heal without any visible evidence. A more severe injury will leave a scar, which may or may not become less visible over time. Becasue of the time between when the nail is formed and when it grows to the point that it is visible, it's very possible to not even remember an injury occurring.

One thing you don't want to do is buff away the ridges. The higher areas are actually the "normal" thickness of your nail. Buffing thins your nail to match the part of the plate with less growth.

Frequent Contributor

@ECBG  Thanks! From now on I'll go there!