Respected Contributor

Re: Eyeliner that will stay even with oil eye lids

@SilleeMee wrote:

Use an eyeshadow primer on your lids and that will help prevent liners and shadows from disappearing or changing color. Most lid primers absorb oil on your lids so your makeup stays put.

Yes, came to make the same suggestion! Some days I use makeup primer if I'm not wearing makeup.

Respected Contributor

i have greasy eyelids and i have tried a couple of shadow primers and they did nothing to help.   i have finally given up entirely on shadow, but i use the Mally shadow sticks as eyeliner.  they really are bullet proof.  i could probably use them as shadows too, but i just gave up on shadow.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

I need an eyeliner that will stay on my eye lids until I take it off, is there such a thing? I am so tired of it being gone in 3-4 hours.

Any suggestions?

@SandGirl   Try using an eyelid primer, but then setting it w/ a light powder shadow to be sure the primer itself is "set". Also allow the primer adequate time to dry down before applying liners/shadows. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I've seen where you can also use powder shadow to set a liner, especially a gel liner, after it's applied. Just use powder shadow which is close to the color of the liner. You can get creative using different colors of gel liners and setting them with eyeshadow powder...it intensifies the liner and gives it more color.

Valued Contributor

I have very oily eyelids and cannot use powdered shadow even with a primer as it doesn't last at all on me. 

I've found that if I use a primer (Too Faced Shadow insurance) and Bobbi Brown Gel eyeliner (in a pot)  or Stila liquid eyeliner, it stays long enough to last through my day. The Kat von D tattoo liquid eye liner also works great for me.   

In my experience, my oily skin breaks down makeup no matter what I use. It's only a question of which combination of products last from about 7am until about 6pm in the evening. 

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl Without going through the replies, I would suggest  an eyelid cream to keep on eyeshadow.  You can get lid colors.  I got Urban Decay, and it burned my lids.  I have had success with Two Faced Shadow Insurance.  I used Mallys forever and can't get it anylonger. 

My eyes are deep set and I've had every problem imaginable.  This works.

See the source image

Respected Contributor

I too have oily skin and very oily eyelids.

The only eye shadow primers that help are Too Faced EYE Insurance (pictured in PP) and Urban Decay. Only in the original versions, the colored and tinted versions smear on me.

I finish with a touch of setting powder then apply my eyeliner Bobbi Brown or Kat Von D.

If it is extremely humid I tap a sealing liquid over the liner.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I too have oily skin and very oily eyelids.

The only eye shadow primers that help are Too Faced EYE Insurance (pictured in PP) and Urban Decay. Only in the original versions, the colored and tinted versions smear on me.

I finish with a touch of setting powder then apply my eyeliner Bobbi Brown or Kat Von D.

If it is extremely humid I tap a sealing liquid over the liner.

@Abrowneyegirl I tried to use Urban Decay lid primer and my eye lids started to sting.  Have you had any issue?

Thanks.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

I've seen where you can also use powder shadow to set a liner, especially a gel liner, after it's applied. Just use powder shadow which is close to the color of the liner. You can get creative using different colors of gel liners and setting them with eyeshadow powder...it intensifies the liner and gives it more color.

@SilleeMee   I always set liner w/ shadow, matching or a softer grey, for example, over black to diffuse the color, lighten, blend it and make it less harsh. Grey liner itself is not enough definition for me & brown no longer looks well with my silver hair. I stay with cool tones. For a more polished, night out look, I sometimes do navy shadow over black gel liner. BB does gel liners that aren't really black, but dark...Caviar Ink, Black Mauve come to mind. I can use a dark shadow w/ a smudge brush to set it (although  without setting it, it goes nowhere...completely waterproof and I even use it on waterline), but my main purpose is to smudge out the liner so it gives definition, but not a harsh visible line. 

Honored Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

I have very oily eyelids and cannot use powdered shadow even with a primer as it doesn't last at all on me. 

I've found that if I use a primer (Too Faced Shadow insurance) and Bobbi Brown Gel eyeliner (in a pot)  or Stila liquid eyeliner, it stays long enough to last through my day. The Kat von D tattoo liquid eye liner also works great for me.   

In my experience, my oily skin breaks down makeup no matter what I use. It's only a question of which combination of products last from about 7am until about 6pm in the evening. 

@LilLadyNJ   Have you tried using Laura Mercier Eye Basics primer that comes in skin tone shades that can be used alone as shadow? Another good choice instead of primer is waterproof shadow sticks....BB, Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks and Cover Girl has them, as well.