Super Contributor

Any recommendations for a moisturizer that's safe to put on my dry eyelids. I use Cerave PM and seal with JM Argon oil on my face for moisture but read not to use Cerave PM on eyelids. I think the argon oil would be ok for the eyelid but I find it helps lock in moisture more than providing it. Anybody have an eye cream they use on the lids without irritation? 

Trusted Contributor

I use one from Eye Love The Sun. It was made specifically to able to be used on the eyelids without irritation.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@Summer Shine 

The Cera Ve eye cream burns around my eye. I don't use it anymore.  I lightly dot JM unscented body butter on my eyelids and around my eyes.  It is not irritating at all and I have extremely dry lids due to psoriasis and eczema. I'm sure her face butter would be ok, but I don't use it anymore.  I tried it once and prefer the regular body butter on my face. This works for me. She has eye milk devotion too. 

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine   This eye cream helps retain moisture.  Hyaluronic eye cream by Mario Badescu for $18.  It is for the eye area below and above.  Read more on his website.  Also sold at Nordstrom, ULTA, Sephora.  It keeps your eye area moisturized and I was never one for eye cream but I love this.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream works for me on my eyelids. Just a wee dab used on each lid. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Summer Shine   100% Pure eye cream.  I have been using this eye cream for years and I love it.  It is organic, works well and zero irritation.  I have very sensitive eyes.  It's a little pricey but it lasts quite a while as you don't need to apply much.  Sometimes before I go to bed I also put a dab of Beekman 1802 oil, that stuff is better than Josie's argan oil, IMO.

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine   If your lids are dry, it may be due to washing your face with water that's too hot, bacteria from your pillowcase, not the cleanest eye brushes, allergies to your eye makeup remover (can begin even if used that remover for years), a too dry shadow or eyelid primer, older  mascara etc. All these have bacteria and can cause a dry lid. Sometimes, it's just age.

More serious issues that require being checked by your doc or derm is eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, mites, bacterial infection, etc. 

I'd eliminate wearing EVERTHING on your eyes for a few weeks and see if it clears up. It's always better to find the cause of the issue than to look for a product to cover it up. If it doesn't heal after a few weeks, a doc may recommend a cream (maybe an RX) to heal that area.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Eyelid Moisturizer

[ Edited ]

@Summer Shine  - I asked my friend what she uses and "We Love Eyes" P.M. Eyelid Butter. She loves it.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Re: Eyelid Moisturizer

[ Edited ]

If you are using a microfiber cloth to wash your eye area then you might want to consider going back to using a cotton cloth instead. Although microfiber cloths are terrific at removing makeup, dirt and oil from the skin they can also remove too much oil which helps  keep the skin from drying out. Avoid hot water and harsh cleansers. Try using an occlusive product such as a butter or oil immediately after cleansing. It can usually take two to three days, sometimes longer, for the skin to regenerate the outer skin barrier. When the skin barrier gets slightly removed, for instance with cleansers, hot water and improper use of certain type cloths, then you'll end up with dry skin, redness and inflammation.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you are using a microfiber cloth to wash your eye area then you might want to consider going back to using a cotton cloth instead. Although microfiber cloths are terrific at removing makeup, dirt and oil from the skin they can also remove too much oil which helps  keep the skin from drying out. Avoid hot water and harsh cleansers. Try using an occlusive product such as a butter or oil immediately after cleansing. It can usually take two to three days, sometimes longer, for the skin to regenerate the outer skin barrier. When the skin barrier gets slightly removed, for instance with cleansers, hot water and improper use of certain type cloths, then you'll end up with dry skin, redness and inflammation.

I would concur with this.  

As much as I love my Make-up Eraser, and I do love it, I have found that as a dry skin person, I can only use it about 3 times a week. Otherwise, my skin just gets way too dry, all over my face, even my eyelids.