Respected Contributor

@Seashell girl wrote:

I have just recently been trying on frames in many stores...my opinion is that all of the frames choices are dark heavy frames, and hide facial features instead of complimenting the face.  I feel like the trend is way too overpowering.  All that I see are glasses.  Can’t see anyone’s beauty behind the frames.  I gave up and went home. I don’t think makeup will help!  Don’t hide your pretty face 

@Seashell girl  At the small local place I go to, all the frames are NOT heavy and dark...they had tons of choices, ranging from pastels to deeper colors, plastic frames, wire frames, even frameless! My frames are dark tortiseshell and DO NOT hide my facial features as they don't cover my whole face--no frames do...I've always gotten compliments on my frame choices. I love the contrast of the darker frames with my silvery gray hair (I still have dark brows and lashes)!  I do not look good in very light frames or frameless glasses.

"Don't hide your pretty face"...really? What is she supposed to do about actually SEEING, if she can't/doesn't want to wear contacts? Some can't, some (me) don't want to. The right eye makeup can help a great deal...eyeliner and mascara are critical for me.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. But telling someone NOT to wear glasses when they may really need them is wrong, and dangerous!

Honored Contributor

I wear glasses for distance and I have bangs. Never wanted to do contacts!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

The shape of your face is what's important when choosing eyeglass frames...get that right & it doesn't matter what makeup & hairstyle you wear. An Optician will fit the proper size, shape & color frames for you, the one I work with is great.

Absolutely agree.

Regular Contributor

I have worn prescription eyeglasses all my life.  I have tons of frames in many shapes and colors.  Glasses are my thing.  I can't imagine wearing contacts.  As far as makeup tips, your eyes will always be the main focus of your face so try to keep your eyebrows in good shape and definitely wear concealer and mascara if you don't have time for anything else.  And when it comes to eyeshadows I think matte shades are better because if I go for glitter of shimmer, the lens tend to magnify the shine.  I leave the glitters and shimmers for special occasions and use sparingly (inner corner of the eye mostly).

When it comes to hair styles, bangs are not for everybody, but if you have the face shape and the hair type for them they do look very cute.  

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Screenshot_2019-02-19 Peace Love World Mock Neck Hoodie with Dip Dye Cords — QVC com.png

So, so, so, so, so, so sad...

Respected Contributor

I wear contacts, but always have to have a pair of glasses on hand.  I have a smaller face, so I look for a smaller frame.  I try to keep my eyeballs in the center (side-to-side).  There aren't a lot of choices for smaller faces.  I also go for thinner frames.  Frameless is nice, if you can do it with your rx.  

My current pair is a purple metal frame.  The metal is thin, and doesn't overpower my face.  I asked the guy behind the counter for his opinion, comparing a couple different frames.  He didn't choose the ones I ultimately got.  His comment.. Do you really want to wear purple frames?  LOL.  I went with my gut, and got what I liked.  I look good in purple!

Honored Contributor

Re: Eyeglass wearers

[ Edited ]

@erichu wrote:
Just saw a picture of myself with glasses on and didn't like it. Any makeup tips? Also bangs with glasses.....yes or no? Thanks.

@erichu   I stopped fighting my need for glasses years ago. Readers were a pain...on and off, on and off. Where I purchase my frames, they guided me towards frames that are “visible” stating that frameless and wire frames are aging...you can still see you’re wearing glasses, make them attractive. They can help you choose the correct shape and from there, choose your favorite color, one that compliments your eyes and complexion, not various outfits.

Yes, to bangs. I didn’t change hairstyles to accommodate my vision. I did however pay extra for a non-glare coating that makes your eyes more visible. Eye makeup? Be sure to use concealer, a thin liner and mascara to emphasize your eyes. Brows are also important...groomed and lightly enhanced. Glasses are “in”. Women are wearing them w/o prescription lenses!! Enjoy choosing your frames.

Trusted Contributor

I have a hard time also getting frames right now, as I have a small face. Almost had to pick from the kids section last time. I went to a small independent optometrist and they have a huge selection. I ended up with a frame sized perfectly for my small features. They are a thin metal frame, somewhat rectangular, and are navy colored. They go well with my short salt and pepper hair. 

Honored Contributor

Versace

I am a fan of the modified cat eye frame.  I also like bangs because I have a high forehead.  I feel that a "heavy" bang can be a bit too much with a rectangular frame.  The modified cat is less "squarish" and I like the little "lift" at the edges.

Right now my hair is super short with what little bang I have left sideswept.

The ladies are correct when they recommend getting the shape of your face right.  Frame shape, frame size and color are key.

Anti-reflective/non-glare lenses are worth getting.  And a good fit is so important.  For years I struggled to find a frame that sat straight on my face and didn't rest on my cheeks.  So far, Versace frames have felt and looked as if they were custom made for me.

Glasses can emphasize or they can hide.  Makeup choices should be based with that in mind.  The eyeglass frame is framing your eye so think of your eye as the art that is framed. Woman Very Happy

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Regular Contributor
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. My glasses look similar to these!! I think my issue is that I have a lot of under eye issues that my glasses hide. I'm afraid to get fillers in that area. But......I've been told more than once that I look "prettier" without them. So....prettier and older or younger and not so "pretty" lol.