Esteemed Contributor

I guess I was not paying much attention.  Lately there have been lots of eyebrow products. And I am starting to notice the hosts, vendors, gals on the news, celebrities.... who have well colored and well shaped eyebrows. Is this a new trend or one I just simply ignored and didn't see.

I have silver hair, light skin, green eyes and brown eyebrows.  I tried to "color" my eyebrows the other day and it just didn't look quite right... too dark and seemed to take away from my eyes and my normal expressions. 

Need advice. Are the eyebrows IN.  I do line my eyes with dark eyeliner and color my lashes.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu With your coloring as described, personally I would not add color to your brows. Perhaps visit a reputable salon and have them shaped and waxed.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I like my brows full. My hair is naturally black on my head, brows and lashes. I only pluck just a few stray brow hairs...I would say they are low maintenance so they are rather full and thick which I think looks flattering on me. Years ago I plucked them to look thin but I never thought that looked good on me. Glad the full brow is the trend right now. I hated having a 5 o'clock shadow on my brows.

Photographs and selfies seem to always make brows appear lighter and more sparse than in real life. So it's good to give them some color and shape if you plan on going in front of a camera.

Honored Contributor

I have a full brow, but even when I was young I didn't have thick brows that I would have to shape with any regularity. My hair is med. brown and gray and I use a taupe brow product, if I use anything darker, I look surprised.LOL

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu   I've always had natural brow, only ever plucking the strays.  But, the tails have thinned out considerably, so I keep my eyebrows in the makeup drawer in my bathroom.  I have dark brown hair and brows, but use a medium brown brow pencil.  If I color in as dark as my natural hair, it is way too dark and garish with my pale complexion.  If I go too light, it doesn't blend in with the fuller portion of my brows.  

If your brows are full and noticeable (eg, not so light and thin that nobody will really see them), you might only have to shape them, and don't worry about the color.  If they are not noticeable, you might want to find the right shade to fill them in.  Brows do help!   It might take a bit of trial and error to find what works for you.  Start out lighter, and go heavier only if needed.

Esteemed Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@bonnielu   I've always had natural brow, only ever plucking the strays.  But, the tails have thinned out considerably, so I keep my eyebrows in the makeup drawer in my bathroom.  I have dark brown hair and brows, but use a medium brown brow pencil.  If I color in as dark as my natural hair, it is way too dark and garish with my pale complexion.  If I go too light, it doesn't blend in with the fuller portion of my brows.  

If your brows are full and noticeable (eg, not so light and thin that nobody will really see them), you might only have to shape them, and don't worry about the color.  If they are not noticeable, you might want to find the right shade to fill them in.  Brows do help!   It might take a bit of trial and error to find what works for you.  Start out lighter, and go heavier only if needed.

I have always had dark, well shaped brows but at 75 the tails have thinner (and sometimes the hairs are longish and a tad unruly).  When that happens, I coat my brows with Vaseline and then comb them straight up and trim the tops edges before cleaning and combing brow hair back in place. I do color my brows sparingly with a product like YBF.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @bonnielu arrows have been in for a while.  If you haven’t done them for a while, do go first to a pro to get them shaped.  After that, I like to fill out the gaps with a good brush and powder.  You may want to experiment with different shapes around whatever hair you have. I don’t like pencil, it’s hard to do nice with the bones around my eyes.  I honestly think the powder only comes in one color.  If not, the it cosmetics video on qvc would probably help you pick a color.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I have never had full brows, and then a lot of my tails disappeared either due to age or hypothyroidism.  Now that I'm older they also started turning gray.  I started using Grande Lash serum on them and that helps somewhat, although it'll never give me full brows, but the bonus is it started turning them dark again.

I just use a brow gel with a brush and very lightly fill in.  I use a light brown color and then add a little red in because I color my hair red and I think it complements it better, but I could get away with just the light brown.  Any darker than that is just too garish.  

I really don't like the fake-looking shaped eyebrows where it's obvious they have used a template or something for the perfect shape rather than just filling in the brows that are actually there.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu - I agree with others that your natural brown color seems fine. I don't think you want to go too dark. My brows are pretty natural too, but they can get unruly. Every time I go to get my hair done (every 4-6 wks.) my stylist trims them for me. He uses a small tight comb and they look terrific. I never realized I could get them trimmed at the salon, but a lot of people do this. I would rather he did them than to try to use the scissors to trim them myself! This has made a big difference for me.

I grew up with honey blonde hair and eyebrows a shade darker. I find it best when I mix light and dark blonde brow color on them. My current favorite is Kristofer Buckle, but QVC isn't carrying his products any longer. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

You might be noticeing ther eyebrows more because a lot of people are microblading there eyebrows these days. I don't but I have noticed a lot of people have been doing this. I have dark brown hair and black eyebrows (which I hate) but I don't know how to make them a lighter color. I cover my grays in my brows with a wand for eyebrows.