Honored Contributor

Re: Empty Words, empty pockets

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I don't usually fall for the hype either..... but once in awhile I'll be watching something new (usually Perricone) and think...well, maybe?  I've cancelled more orders because of second thoughts.

I try hard to research what I want to try and what stops me cold is the micro delivery systems that some of these products use.....  right, wrong or indifferent these systems really bother me because it allows the product to enter the blood stream and I just don't trust it.

@Q4u.....I hope someone can weigh in on the statement that skin care can enter the blood stream. I have always read that is a myth and that our skin is a barrier to harmful chemicals.

Yes, unfortunately chemicals have the ability to be absorbed by the skin and enter the blood stream....  

Getting chemicals on the skin, or in the eyes. They can damage the skin, or be absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream.

https://www.osha.gov/dte/grant_materials/fy11/sh-22240-11/ChemicalHazards.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2011-199/pdfs/2011-199.pdf

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u, I read both of your links. The second one describes just how a dangerous chemical (not ones that we see in beauty products) can erode and damage the skin, at which point it is a compromised barrier. But yes, there are some corrosive chemicals that probably can get past the barrier. These are warnings from OSHA.

I have never read a study that proves that any chemical used in our beauty products has the capability to penetrate our skin and enter the bloodstream, unless possibly through a wound or something. Even then it would be doubtful that it would harm a person because then the manufacturer would have to have a warning on its label about not using on broken or damaged skin.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Anything on contact with our skin is absorbed.  Yes, it's a barrier and if you think of it as having many walls and doors, we have quite a system for keeping us as safe as possible but it IS eventually absorbed and it will hit the blood stream.  Mostly, the chemicals are benign.  

However, I'm concerned about the ability to reduce particles of skin care delivery systems to a fraction of the size of a hair and the ability to absorb into the blood stream and then travel to areas of the body it was not intended to go.  While there is conflicting information regarding this, I am not willing to wait and see what ten years of use will do to my system.  This is all still hotly debated and rightly so...  

"As if there weren’t enough concerns about the toxicity of cosmetic chemicals, manufacturers are rushing to incorporate nanotechnology that uses particles 80,000 times smaller than the width of a human hair. Nanotechnology has been touted as the next revolution in cosmetics and packaging. However, nanoparticles, being so tiny, have the potential to penetrate unusually deeply into the skin and organs, causing exotic physical effects.

The size of nanoparticles is their greatest asset and their greatest health risk. The human body is equipped with defenses designed to keep toxic substances out as they come into contact with our skin, lungs, and intestinal tract.

Nanoparticles are so small they can infiltrate the lungs and intestinal walls, giving the toxins free access to the body. There is some evidence that they may be absorbed directly through the skin as well but the results are inconclusive at this point.

Even non-toxic nanoparticles can cause problems. For example they can get into our lungs but are so small they are not easily cleared by normal mechanisms. This causes the lungs to be overburdened and have to work harder to breathe.

Some toxicologists are alarmed by this trend. The skin is a barrier for a reason - to keep harmful substances out. If nanoparticles can penetrate, will they end up in the bloodstream and brain? Will they do damage? Will other less welcome substances piggy-back on those tiny particles? And what will happen if a number of different nanoparticles, from our hand cream, sunscreen and foundation, join in the swim together?"

https://www.healthcentral.com/article/nanotechnology-and-cosmetics

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3, thanks for taking the time to read the links.... but I am concerned about the delivery system.  I got off the mark answering the question about chemicals being absorbed into the blood stream.  Not only are the dangerous ones absorbed, but the more benign ones as well and I was trying to give proof of that.  

My discussion regarding ALL this is regarding the micro delivery system, which I don't trust.  The chemicals involved in the cosmetics may be benign, but the delivery system in and of itself has always been my point.

Honored Contributor

Skincare products only penetrate into the epidermis, which is the outer layers of the skin. Blood capilaries are down in the dermis, much deeper in the skin than skincare products can penetrate.

- Top Level: Epidermis: Dead and live and brand new skin cells

- Lower Level: Dermis: Skin cell support system, featuring collagen and blood capilaries

Any products that can go into the bloodstream have to be categorized as drugs, prescription or OTC. Also, a transdermal patch has to be specially designed to penetrate all the way to the blood capilaries. There are substances on the patch that help with that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@porcelain wrote:

Skincare products only penetrate into the epidermis, which is the outer layers of the skin. Blood capilaries are down in the dermis, much deeper in the skin than skincare products can penetrate.

- Top Level: Epidermis: Dead and live and brand new skin cells

- Lower Level: Dermis: Skin cell support system, featuring collagen and blood capilaries

Any products that can go into the bloodstream have to be categorized as drugs, prescription or OTC. Also, a transdermal patch has to be specially designed to penetrate all the way to the blood capilaries. There are substances on the patch that help with that.

Not only that, but there are certain parts of the body where skin absorption is routed, which is not the facial skin.

Also, the good bacteria on your skin is there for a good purpose. (So, we shouldn't mess it up.)

Plus, we have an elimination system. With the proper diet, et.al., your body should be able to handle an onslaught.

I think we all need a course in Skin 101, and then make better choices of things we do to ourselves and put on ourselves.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Q4u, I read both of your links. The second one describes just how a dangerous chemical (not ones that we see in beauty products) can erode and damage the skin, at which point it is a compromised barrier. But yes, there are some corrosive chemicals that probably can get past the barrier. These are warnings from OSHA.

I have never read a study that proves that any chemical used in our beauty products has the capability to penetrate our skin and enter the bloodstream, unless possibly through a wound or something. Even then it would be doubtful that it would harm a person because then the manufacturer would have to have a warning on its label about not using on broken or damaged skin.

@suzyQ3    @Q4u

Here's just one example .....  chemicals in nail polish can leach into your bloodstream and disrupt the hormone balance.   I notice that many nail polishes now say "formaldehyde free!".   It's a concern for many as this is also labeled a cancer causing chemical, so it's probably not just sitting on the surface of our skin.    JMO.   

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nail-polish-chemicals-entering-the-body_us_5627e311e4b02f6a900f5...

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44, it's an interesting link and worth taking note of. Thankfully, it appears to be short-lived in the body with no known adverse effects. But it deserves more research for sure.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I came across an inexpensive brand, The Ordinary, that is amazing!  I purchased 5 products for $45 (incl shipping).  They perform.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Scientific studies tell us there are a few good ingredients out there (synthetic and natural) that make a difference in our skin. Many of these "miracle" products hyped online and on TV are based on very unscientific "data and research".  If a miracle product does happen one day, it will be such big news that it will be everywhere - not just on a shopping channel.

For over 50 years I have tried my share of products and "miracles", and have come to the following conclusions:

IMO To have good skin you need...

1. Good genes - My oily skin genes help me some 

2. Gentle cleanse daily - I do

3. Use Sunscreen daily - I do 

4. Moisturize daily - I do 

5. Exfoliate regularly - I use BHA & Retin A

6. Healthy diet and exercise - I need to work on these

Brand names and cost don't necessarily matter. The proper ingredients in the correct amounts and delivery systems make a difference. Following the directions is also important. Far too many people use their skin products incorrectly.