Valued Contributor

Re: Empty Words, empty pockets

I wish I could just use vaseline or oils and call it a day. But every single time that I do, I break out like crazy and it wrecks my skin.  I love reading about skin care and one of the things I like to do is to read vintage beauty books from about 1900. Almost every tip involves keeping your skin covered from the sun and strong wind and not to eat too many sweets so you can maintain a good figure. They knew what they were talking about and I'm sure that more than anything helped women to look their best. They also made their own skin care using recipes from the local chemist. They didn't just slap any old thing on their face. Eating a healthy diet and being protected from too much sun will go a long way. I think that 100 yr. old Chinese woman probably stayed out of the sun. Many Asian women traditionally would use parasols and other garments to protect their skin.

I agree with the OP, we need to do our research and not fall for the hype. I don't care if it's Perricone or the secret of the 70 yr. old French lady (LOL!), do the research and figure out what works best for your skin and your wallet. I like Isomers serums and retin-a. Not cheap, but it really works on my skin. I do think Perricone has some good products and if someone gets results from them, it's all good.

Regarding Dana Devon, I remember when she was selling some weight loss drink on Evine. Now that whole thing I thought was a bunch of BS, but I'm sure some ordered and got results from it.

Super Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

At 81 I'm still gullable, and know using creams will give you beautiful skin, but not get rid of or prevent wrinkles.  I would not be getting botox and fillers since my 70's.  Dr. D would not have gotten a facelift or eye lift.  I love her products and get compliments on my beautiful skin, yet between her and Perricone,, I have to start at dinner time putting on my night regium.  She has her infusion oil, Hydroshield serum, emulsion face and eye.  I have to be careful I don't slid out of bed in the middle of the night and break a hip.

In the morning, between Hydroshield, dream cream, perricone firming finishing face cream, etc.  My skin is beautiful, but when to stop and say, I'm old, one or two creams should be sufficent.  My mother and grandmother used Ponds for everything.  Good skin, little wrinkles.  No anti aging then.  My fault for believing the hype and hoping FOR WHAT?

Ladies, do what you have to do or not, but don't fall for it like I did.  I am going to have withdrawal symptons when all this is finish.

Hahaha, so cutely said Qvcaddiction.  It makes me sick to think about all the $$ I have spent on some pretty pricey skincare items.   I am doing pretty well with my Cera-Ve products and Tretinoin and I have the extra cash to boot.

Super Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I saw a gorgeous 100 year old Chinese woman on television once, and they asked her what her secret was ...

Vaseline!

@PurpleBunny  I had Thanksgiving dinner at a retirement home in Santa Fe a few years ago.  There was a beautiful woman there who had just had her 100th birthday.  She had the most beautiful, unlined skin so I complimented her and asked for her secret.  She said she'd used jojoba oil on her face every night before bed, that's all.  She was a wealthy woman and could have afforded any beauty regimen but that's all she used. 

Makes sense to me!

(I use Vaseline before bed now ... shhhhh ... don't tell anyone. I don't want to be drummed off the beauty board!)

I have used vaseline moisturizer on my face too and it is GREAT!

Super Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I do not fall for the hype because I refuse to pay $$$ for skincare.  Plus anything skincare does do is temporary so why pay the big $$$?  For me  it is important to hydrate your skin and that's what I do for a lot less.  And, many women do not want to use Vaseline and I always did under the eyes because it makes the skin taut.  I don't care if Vaseline came from the bottom of the petroleum barrel, if it works, if works.   Cat Very Happy

There is a vaseline moisturizer that has worked great for me and helped clear up eczema spots on my face last year.  I am pretty sure the eczema break out was caused from one of those pricey skincare items I wasted money on.

Super Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I tried the last TSV for Perricone and all I ended up with is a raw, red face that took a few days to heal. I peeled for a few days until I got my usual, good skin back.

Now all I use is an inexpensive moisturizer, a face cleanser and some sunscreen.

@Trinity11 wrote:

I tried the last TSV for Perricone and all I ended up with is a raw, red face that took a few days to heal. I peeled for a few days until I got my usual, good skin back.

Now all I use is an inexpensive moisturizer, a face cleanser and some sunscreen.

Hi Trinity11,

That's all you need.  Wish I learned sooner $$$$$$$$$.

asltw

Super Contributor

I just have to put another shout out to "A Day with Dr. Dray" on you tube.  She is a dermatologist from TX that is honest about skincare products and ingredients.  She answers questions and comments and has a Friday Q&A session.  She is worth checking out.  She has saved me soo much money!!

asltw

Esteemed Contributor

@beautybee wrote:

I wish I could just use vaseline or oils and call it a day. But every single time that I do, I break out like crazy and it wrecks my skin.  I love reading about skin care and one of the things I like to do is to read vintage beauty books from about 1900. Almost every tip involves keeping your skin covered from the sun and strong wind and not to eat too many sweets so you can maintain a good figure. They knew what they were talking about and I'm sure that more than anything helped women to look their best. They also made their own skin care using recipes from the local chemist. They didn't just slap any old thing on their face. Eating a healthy diet and being protected from too much sun will go a long way. I think that 100 yr. old Chinese woman probably stayed out of the sun. Many Asian women traditionally would use parasols and other garments to protect their skin.

I agree with the OP, we need to do our research and not fall for the hype. I don't care if it's Perricone or the secret of the 70 yr. old French lady (LOL!), do the research and figure out what works best for your skin and your wallet. I like Isomers serums and retin-a. Not cheap, but it really works on my skin. I do think Perricone has some good products and if someone gets results from them, it's all good.

Regarding Dana Devon, I remember when she was selling some weight loss drink on Evine. Now that whole thing I thought was a bunch of BS, but I'm sure some ordered and got results from it.

Yes, I remember when Dayna Devon was the spokesperson for the Sensa sprinkles as she was the on air vendor rep in Canada on The Shopping Channel too.

Honored Contributor

@CoG wrote:

Theyre at it again.  The new H2 line is supposed to infuse your skin with hydrogen and "transform" your skin so that it is " revitalized, reenergized, restored," by the power of hydrogen.  But Dana, what is this newly discovered "molecule" that harnesses a gas?  How on earth can you activate a gas in solution then open the glass vial, allowing any gaseous substance to evaporate yet claim it, in its absence, can " infuse" anything?  Water has as its foundation, hydrogen.  So does hydrogen peroxide, so do thousands of other compounds.. Why so cryptic?

We are all gullible or you all would be penniless, but we're not all dullards Dana. Some of us hold multiple degrees, in hard sciences.  Many of us hold onto precious Common Sense.

Beauty IQ Mon April 24 Perricone hour. Sound and fury signifying nothing....

@CoG

Up until the very last line of your post, I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@CoG wrote:

Theyre at it again.  The new H2 line is supposed to infuse your skin with hydrogen and "transform" your skin so that it is " revitalized, reenergized, restored," by the power of hydrogen.  But Dana, what is this newly discovered "molecule" that harnesses a gas?  How on earth can you activate a gas in solution then open the glass vial, allowing any gaseous substance to evaporate yet claim it, in its absence, can " infuse" anything?  Water has as its foundation, hydrogen.  So does hydrogen peroxide, so do thousands of other compounds.. Why so cryptic?

We are all gullible or you all would be penniless, but we're not all dullards Dana. Some of us hold multiple degrees, in hard sciences.  Many of us hold onto precious Common Sense.

Beauty IQ Mon April 24 Perricone hour. Sound and fury signifying nothing....

@CoG

Up until the very last line of your post, I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about.

Sorry, @Tinkrbl44, I forget I can't send clear messages telepathically .  Hope you can watch a presentation of Perricone's new H2 line.  It's all based on " infusing your skin with hydrogen". I won't comment further because I am decidedly biased.  But I hope you all get a chance to be bewildered and amazed at the "drama"

just when I decided to be angry at Cetaphil and CeraVe and Neutrogena because of the petrolium content of their moisturizers, you ladies have me wondering if I should just skip the ceramides and peptides and just go straight for the oil drum sludge lol!

Esteemed Contributor

They are selling a dream.  I really believe that we inherit our good or bad skin from our family.  I have friends much  much younger than me with lots of wrinkles.  I  have my  mothers skin and even at the time of her death at the age of 84 she looked younger than her years. I buy nothing.  I use nothing other than drug store foundation and cosmetics.