Respected Contributor

I know everyone will say wear what makes you happy and I agree with that.   I was in a waiting room and a lady had thick long blond hair (really pretty) and walking shorts with high heeled booties.  It was a cute outfit.  However, the wearer was very very very tanned and wrinkled and probably in 70s.  She was a good weight but the skin on the legs and arms was old skin.  She looked like she was trying so hard to hang on to being young that it almost made me sad.   I saw another lady when we were eating out in a mini skirt and heels and very low cut top who was also up there in age.  I am 71 and I try to wear clothes that are modern but not show any more of the old skin than I have to.  I want to look up to date and like I have not given up but I know it is not the clothes that will make me look young.  Getting old is very hard both physically and mentally.  Of course the alternative is not good either.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dressing your age?

[ Edited ]

@chiclet   Totally agree.  Wear what makes you happy but use some common sense.  LOOK IN THE MIRROR!!!   I know our view may be different,  but an unbiased review of what we look like is important.  Embrase it,  have fun with who you are and how you want to dress,  but an occassional reality check is critical.   

Honored Contributor

I am 71 also and have seen some sights! I agree with you, I wear what I think is proper for my age.

happy-wednesday-animated-gif-image

Honored Contributor

See the source image

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

A big goal of mine is not to look or act like an old fool.  I have no problem with my age or looking my age. But hope to still look like I have some sense. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's all subjective, I suppose. But ah, the common sense part! (@nyc1)

Most of the time I give a fleeting [personal] assessment on what people wear, their hair style, how they are made up. 

For the depositions from the law firm I worked at a long time ago, it was important that the lawyer begin with a physical description of the claimants down to what they wore. (The firm represented an important company.)

Everything's been so relaxed, that I wonder how much applies today. (Remember when ladies always wore hat & gloves?)

I can be more observant, though of my college students. I'm usually too busy thinking about what needs to be accomplished that day.

Respected Contributor

They are hurting no one. They are probably well aware that they look "old" but they are dressing the way that they feel is the most attractive.

Dressing like you described at any age is trying too hard to get attention, to me & makes me sad.

I really dislike the term "given up". Given up trying to please other people? I gave up a long time ago.

What does it mean to give up? To quit trying? Men generally (Of course some do.) don't wear makeup, color their hair, wear provacative clothing, etc. So did they never try? 

I dress really simply & for my comfort. If I offend someone with my choices I don't mean to.

Honored Contributor

And I look at all these young people with their tattooes and wonder what they will look like when they're old--LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Dressing your age?

[ Edited ]

@chiclet Understand all the points you make.

I'm all over the place in things I like, from some trendy/whimsical romantic looks to classics. I think I do have a clear vision for myself of what looks cute on a tween or twenty-something, but is no longer appropriate for me. If I see a trend, I think I know how to style it for my age. Some things I know, are no longer an option, even if in shape, just look silly and sad on a woman my age, or at least on me...super mini shorts, cut off mini denim skirts, super "cute" young trends, to me are pretty obvious.

I'm in my 60's, petite, in shape, thankfully, no wrinkled arms, pretty good legs still...not bragging just giving the "picture"... I still wear youthful looks just in a "grown up" way.

I do "check" myself, as I know being petite, and having a "romantic" style...I can sometimes choose "too cute" for maybe my age...so I do give thought to it. But romantic, is a look that suits my style and look, I feel, even at this age. Lol...I think of my dear mom who had such style her whole life to 91...she'd say to me, "You're 40, 50 or 60 now...you have to dress more sophisticated!" Smiley Happy Good fabrics, great fit, grown up style, even when it's with an artistic flair.

About the arms situation...I truly feel....in the dog days of summer...even when my arms go...I'm wearing sleeveless! As long as the top is age appropriate and doesn't show anything "hanging" with too big arm holes etc...it doesn't bother me at all to see an older woman with her arms out. It's summer...feel cool, is how I feel. No one expects her to look 20 at this point, so what it's an older arm. Obviously, if it makes anyone uncomfortable, as I know it does with many women (I sold women's clothing for a while...sleeveless was a hard "NO" for many) then "you do you."

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

See the source image

Love it.