Honored Contributor
On 4/8/2015 Lucky charm said:

Shoekitty, I have to say I'm sorry about the suicides in your own family. That's got to be shocking and heartbreaking to say the least.

I know many people are portrayed, I never saw the show in question. I guess I'm surprised Dr. Brandt did. Unless it was brought to his attention.

It's too bad they didn't just switch it up to not make is seem so obvious who they were spoofing. That wouldn't have been hard to do, you know?

I hope they don't continue to show the skit or re-run it, it seems like it would be beyond tasteless. Like they would just be trying to get viewership up for ratings.

Re: Your granddaughter being to sick to attend an award show. My cousin was an executive producer on (at one period in time) the most watched television show/series in the world and I don't think it was ever up for an Emmy! lol.

Thanks for the thought. I did want to clarify one thing. My granddaughter missed a premier of a film she is in, not an emmy! LOL! She would love that! I think if she was getting an award she would have cloned herself in her spare time and been there. Hahahaha

Honored Contributor
On 4/8/2015 sugarftmom said:

ShoeKitty, I am so sorry for your losses. You have a very sad and personal knowledge about depression. It is plain that you have also educated yourself.

I worked for a while as a psych nurse. Your post perfectly explains the pain experienced by those who suffer from depression. In addition, it is very hard to find the correct med and dosage that will be effective for the patient.

Thank you for sharing your story and helping us all to understand a little more about those who deal with mental illness. The entire family and friends of the patient also suffer more than I can even imagine.

Thank you sugarftmom,

Thank you for the kind words.

I do feel sorry for Dr Brandt's family, friends and the thousands who enjoyed his skin care. I think it is well known he was a sensitive, caring person. Sadly, he suffered deeply and more than anyone knew. Like Robin Williams he hid much from his fans, and family even. It was reported he was on suicide watch, which says a lot, if true.

I think most of the blame can be put on depression. It is an illness, and a painfully hard one to treat.

We have come so far in treating depression and mental illness. The stigma has been lessened over the years, but it can still be shameful to the sufferer. Can you believe how far medication has come for sufferers, even in the last 30 years.? I think how horridly many suffered before now . Up until the 1950's, most were thrown in the hospitals to wander and suffer, or be experimented on..

Regular Contributor
On 4/8/2015 MarenSeattle said:

I never saw any of his shows and was only vaguely aware of him. But since his death I've read what a wonderful person he was, how he truly cared, and how he helped so many.

My heart always aches for someone who is in so much pain that death seems the only option to make it stop. May he rest in peace.

Amen to that. If he was already depressed, he certainly didn't deserve the treatment he received on Tina's skit. Sad. Really sad. And no, I've never thought Tina was funny. Nothing to do with her dumb portrayal (also not funny) of anyone. Dr. Brandt's publicist said he was devastated by the skit. Great use of humor. NOT.

Honored Contributor
On 4/9/2015 Celticrose said:
On 4/8/2015 MarenSeattle said:

I never saw any of his shows and was only vaguely aware of him. But since his death I've read what a wonderful person he was, how he truly cared, and how he helped so many.

My heart always aches for someone who is in so much pain that death seems the only option to make it stop. May he rest in peace.

Amen to that. If he was already depressed, he certainly didn't deserve the treatment he received on Tina's skit. Sad. Really sad. And no, I've never thought Tina was funny. Nothing to do with her dumb portrayal (also not funny) of anyone. Dr. Brandt's publicist said he was devastated by the skit. Great use of humor. NOT.

EXACTLY! NOT a great use of humor. I used to somewhat like Tina F. NOW..not so much.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

Maybe posters will think twice about ripping apart hosts and vendors here? Same concept, but much worse IMO.

Honored Contributor
On 4/8/2015 KateChopin said:

What a humorless nation we have become...

Yes, It's so strange to hear such scorn for parody or spoofs that have always been a popular comedy genre. Sometimes they can be as tough as a Shriner's Roast. Heck, I used to watch Don Rickles on the Tonight Show home in on everyone's faults. It was his whole schtick.

This is nothing new, no groundbreaking going on. And to call this a form of bullying? Wow, that really shows how far we've gone in losing the real meaning and danger of that word. I could just as incorrectly call the cruel accusations against a writer to be a form of bullying.

The man was unstable. Anything might have been the last straw for him; more likely, it was a myriad of factors that just led him to feel that his own pain was too unbearable. It is very sad, but it is also, unfortunately, not uncommon.

Also unfortunately common is pointing fingers at who might have been to blame. In this case, a comedian/writer/producer is the target of such misplaced hostility.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
On 4/9/2015 suzyQ3 said:

Yes, It's so strange to hear such scorn for parody or spoofs that have always been a popular comedy genre. Sometimes they can be as tough as a Shriner's Roast. Heck, I used to watch Don Rickles on the Tonight Show home in on everyone's faults. It was his whole schtick.

This is nothing new, no groundbreaking going on. And to call this a form of bullying? Wow, that really show how far we've gone in losing the real meaning and danger of that word. It's in the dictionary, so anyone can refresh themselves as to the actual definition.

The man was unstable. Anything might have been the last straw for him; more likely, it was a myriad of factors that just led him to feel that his own pain was too unbearable. It is very sad, but it is also, unfortunately, not uncommon.

I think it was MOST definitely a form of bullying.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor
On 4/9/2015 suzyQ3 said:

This is nothing new, no groundbreaking going on. And to call this a form of bullying? Wow, that really show how far we've gone in losing the real meaning and danger of that word. It's in the dictionary, so anyone can refresh themselves as to the actual definition.

Yes, and what about posters' beloved Joan Rivers?

Honored Contributor
On 4/9/2015 Crisso said:
On 4/9/2015 suzyQ3 said:

Yes, and what about posters' beloved Joan Rivers?

Crisso, I have no clue. I'm truly dumbfounded by these posts, not only because they make no sense but because some are so truly angry and hostile.

I still believe that for many, it's a political statement.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
On 4/9/2015 Crisso said:

Maybe posters will think twice about ripping apart hosts and vendors here? Same concept, but much worse IMO.

I agree-the behavior of ripping a woman apart b/c of her looks, weight etc is repulsive. Men are subject matters too but typically b/c of feminine attributes. Those types of threads seem to be quite welcome & popular here--permitted, yet discussing sneak peeks of new GILI handbags get poofed in a nano second. And once is not enough for some targets-as there is another one just started about Giulana. Repulsive.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri