Respected Contributor

Re: Do you throw away make up once they pass their expiration dates?

I still have 4 eyeshadows from the days when Tova did a color collection on QVC.  They are GORGEOUS and I get compliments on them whenever I use them.   Does anyone remember her SECRET SHADE?  I still have 2 of those!   I would probably throw out the mascara once opened,  but a powdered blush or shadow,  lasts and lasts. 

Respected Contributor

I think makers are legally required to put some indication of how long the product is good once opened. I ignore all of them.

I date my mascara and toss at 6 months, regardless. It helps that my favorite is NYC's mascara that's $1 at WM.

Face powder, powder eyeshadow and brow color, power blush--all fine. I have products that are 30 years old and they apply perfectly well. They have no more germs than something that's open for 12 months, IMO.

I've got a Yardley Pot o' Gloss from the 1970s that's still good, which is amazing, since it's a cream consistency. 

Two caveats: This mentioned makeup, not creams. Creams turn. I've just tossed a few products that had gone. You know from the smell. It's just wrong.

Also, if you do tightlining, which IMO is a hazardous practice, I believe you need to be scrupulous about your product care. I would replace products used that close to the eyeball, which has no natural defenses and is an entry point for germs, far more often than every year or even 6 months. Better yet, don't do it. It could give you an eye infection and just makes your eyes look smaller.

Valued Contributor

I have some eye shadow that can vote now!!

That's how we roll in the shire..
Respected Contributor

I've been trying different brands of eye makeup and tossing them, a lot lately because my left eye, can only handle eye makeup for a couple days before getting extremely irritated lids that get red swollen and raw. Been to 4 doctors and they just prescribe a steroid product which ultimately makes thing worse. It's only the left eye. I just bought another expensive hypo allergenic brand to try after I let things heal again. ): It only happens after I've worn eye makeup for a couple days.

Honored Contributor

I toss if and when something turns.  I've had 1 bottle of liquid foundation I had forever and the color started to change so I tossed it.  I've had lipsticks turn rancid and you could definitely tell. 

Unless something like that happens, I toss nothing unless I hate it and know I won't use it again, or I'm done with it.  I don't even know what the shelf life of opened mascara is supposed to be anymore.  I've heard 3 months and I've heard 6 months.  Whatever, I don't follow it.  I either use it up or it dries out.  I pay no attention to these time lines.

Esteemed Contributor

Mascaras I toss after they've been open 3 months. Other makeup I give it the sniff test. Rancid lipsticks get tossed. If a powder feels like it's developed a crust or a film, it gets tossed as well.

Honored Contributor

I write date of opening on products and trash accordingly.

Call me OCD.

Can't remember where I got this list.

infographic-time-to-toss1.jpg

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Once or twice a year I wipe off the top of pressed powder products with a Kleenex, then spritz with alcohol. I do the same with lipstick.

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

I still have 4 eyeshadows from the days when Tova did a color collection on QVC.  They are GORGEOUS and I get compliments on them whenever I use them.   Does anyone remember her SECRET SHADE?  I still have 2 of those!   I would probably throw out the mascara once opened,  but a powdered blush or shadow,  lasts and lasts. 

I still have some of Tova's shadows and I still have the "Secret Shade."  (Also her original Tova Signature and it still smells beautiful.)