Respected Contributor

Do you throw away make up once they pass their expiration dates?

Hi, Beauties,

I am going through my big stash of makeup and I am having a hard time trying to throw away expired items. I have never ever "hit pan" on any of my eye shadow pallets.  And many of them indicted that they expire after 12 months of opening. Do you throw away your powder makeup once they reach their expiration dates? If you don't, how long do you keep it pass the date?

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you throw away make up once they pass their expiration dates?

Heavens no, especially powder products. I think this is all a conspiracy to sell more product.  I've had exactly two items go "bad" in my entire life, a Bare Escentuals lipstick and a foundation from Mary Kay.  You can just tell, smell if there is bacterial contamination, or the consistency will change.  I think the lipstick developed a white coating.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never seen and expiration date on any make-up.  Some lipsticks that I seldom wear have changed smell and texture.

What do you have an expiration date on?  Just curious!

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

I throw away mascaras, eye shadows, and eye liners a lot, sometimes a couple of weeks after purchase.  Some of those probably sat on the shelf at the drugstore for a while before I purchased because they seemed to dry out quickly even though I closed tightly after use.  Because I wear contacts that can easily get irritated, I am more likely to throw out eye products sooner than the rest.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momoftwo2007,    I have not seen expiration dates on any of my makeup.  I have some eyeshadow that is over 5 years old.  It does not smell and it's still good.  Lipstick -  I will toss if it smells funny and you know by the smell; mascara I toss every 3 months.  If it doesn't smell, I keep it.  You can smell it and look at it and tell if it's bad.  I wish it was mandatory that makeup and skincare have an expiration dates.  The cosmetic industery wants you to buy new products so I don't understand why they don't supply expiration dates.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan,  Even though products sit on shelves at drugstores, etc., they are not open.  Once you open then the expiration begins which may be a year or so.  I never had problems with old eyeshadow and I have it for over 5 years.  I wore it the other day -  no problem.  It's like sour milk, you can smell bad makeup. IMO  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I've never seen and expiration date on any make-up.  Some lipsticks that I seldom wear have changed smell and texture.

What do you have an expiration date on?  Just curious!

On makeup it's an international box with a number inside it and the letter M for month. This box with an open lid is seen on the outside packaging of the makeup, not on the tube itself.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I do throw away some things regularly - mostly eye products like Mascara, but after I've had somethng for a while I definitely check the smell.  I do date tubes of mascara and if one has been open for 90 days it has to go. I have had several lipsticks from various vendors get gloopy and smelly, and they go out at once. I don't worry so much about powders, etc. But I'm only getting two eyes and I definitely want fresh eye products.

Honored Contributor

For most makeup an expiration date is just an excuse to get you to throw it away so you have to buy more.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval