Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you prefer Gel, Acrylic or dip nails?

I've been getting my nails done for nearly 40 years. I've had sculpted, silk-wrapped, acrylic, gel, and now dipped. I prefer dipped because it lasts up to three weeks and I don't want the cellular damage done by the UV curing light for gels.

My nails have always been strong and grow long, I like the long-lasting nail color and hand massages provided by professionals.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

I'm seeing prices for the nails and pedicures here...over $145.00...what about the 20 percent tip???sorry I'm out!!  I think its ridiculous and  waste of money...for nails ???.   To do that every month, yikes!!   I was a nail tech years ago...yes, labor is much...however with the newer tools, I've had both services done within 1 hour...not paying those prices.   I get a basic pedicure, includes soak, callous removal,  nails and cuticles trimmed,  hot towel wrap , scrubs and lotion, and massage...$30..I happen to have found a great guy, that does a tideous, and thorough job on me.  I exceed the 20 percent tip because he spends the time until everything is perfect...now, that's worth it!!

Honored Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Call me old fashioned but I still get a regular manicure with regular nail polish, I have long, strong nails and dont need or want anything going on them but polish that is free of chemicals

@Shelbelle what brand of nail polish is free of chemicals?

I usually use Zoya or Deb Lippmann, free of as many chemicals as possible. At least 10 FREE

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes 

Since a teen, I've always worn a light, pastel polish on my nails, whether self applied, or manicurist when working. 

I loved those manicurist acrylics, (even tho I have a funny Volleyball story abt acrylic nails, I cld detail later, if anyone is interested).

I dont remember the manicurist price, but was reasonable, cause I asked around, shopped around. And when I found one terrific manicurist, "I attached myself to their hip!"  Them & only them!! 

I remember was a little bit more $$ for my gorgeous, original, air brushed, fancy French Manicured nails.

My above new "Nail Fun" is currently "on Hold,"  'cause I'm in "AutoImmune Disorder" Relapse, so my "waking hours" are at a minuscule currently.

In the meantime, I'm stuck in my same (discontinued) Nail Color routine & "Duri Rejuvacote," & ClearTop Coat layers routine."

"Fancier Nails." are my latest determined home "Beauty Obsession."  Including collecting a supply of gorgeous Nail Dips, Gels, "Gel Acrylics," Gel Artistry Paints, Nail Stickers, Stamps, Tattoos, Glimmers, Glitters, Nail Piercings, & wide selection of just regular Nail Polishes in many, many colors,   (See my/our other "threads.")

Im exciting to get into Dips 1st, mainly because no Light Needed & the colors look at least as beautiful as the gorgeous Gels.  But I understand they can dry a quite different color than as a powder in the container.

I also have a Gel Light that's the size for 1 finger, so I might start Gels with just 1 finger, of which I might also "fancy up." with my 1st Nail Piercing trinkets. .

In addition to our many @Beauty Gurus here, that can advise, @juperier3  has incredible knowledge of ANY & ALL aspects specifically of Nails!"  and  has served as my "mentor" answering my many, many questions! 

Maybe @juperier3  can be summoned for help also? She reads these Forums regularly!

I hope to be back "in the Nail Mix" soon.

Valued Contributor

The Russian manicure technique is hard to find and is more expensive. I started seeing this nail tech before she was licensed in America and working from home and was paying $25. Then she went to school and got her license and her prices and demand just go up and up- from $25 to $60 to $80 to $100 and now $120. Though the service has stayed the same.

In December she went on vacation and I had to find someone else to do it, and I went to another salon. This was when I realized I even had hard gel, I had no idea this is what I had been getting for years. They charge $80 for a set. But $65 for a refill. I didn't even realize that refills were possible for hard gel!- as my girl was doing fresh set everytime. And it took one hour for a refill at the salon, where as my regular girl takes 2-2.5 hours.

It is really hard to decide if I should switch or not just for financial responsibilty. It is really difficult when I feel loyal to someone for years and I know she does superior work. 

@SurferWife wrote:

@Snow Kitten 

My nail tech isn't quite that expensive.  I think the gel refill itself is $40 but I also get cuticle care and gel design, so I think it ends up being $80ish when it's all said & done.  My gel pedicure with callous care is $65.  They have a reward points system, so that helps.  I've paid more at other salons in the general area, so I'm okay with her prices.  I have tried cheaper salons too just to see if I can find someone who does superior work, and quite frankly they ARE cheaper in their workmanship.  I'd rather spend more to get what I want.  My nail tech is meticulous & I appreciate that.

Honored Contributor

I was told at the age of 17 when diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes to avoid all nail salons. I learned early on how to do my own pedis and manicures. I use Chanel polish and have nails that grow overnight. They are strong, don't split and thankfully easy to care for. I tried a gel Polish but never again. Too difficult to remove. 

For those who go to the salon, I am sure it is nice to be pampered.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snow Kitten 

Last year I started going to a nail salon where the nail tech did the Russian manicure.  I really, really ❤️ it, but man she was expensive, especially if I wanted a design!  By the time I had my nails & pedicure done it was over $200 before tip!  Now mind you, I am a beauty spender, but that was more than I really wanted to spend every 5 weeks.  She also started doing brows & lashes so she cut out the pedicures because she was a "one-woman" show.  Since I didn't want to go to two different salons, one for nails & one for pedis, I stopped going to her.  Maybe it's a good thing she stopped doing pedis...LOL!  I have not been unable to find another nail tech who does the Russian manicure, but my "old-fashioned" cuticle care is good.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

A couple of years ago I saw on tv if you're getting dipped nails, to always bring your own dip powder.  The powder the salon uses has had many dirty fingertips dipped in the powder.  It was grossly disgusting when they showed the lab slides after testing with all the bacteria.

Respected Contributor

You ladies who go 3-5 weeks without a fill or replacements, how can you stand that grown out look on your nails? I find it unsightly, the big gap between fake nail and cuticle. One of the many reasons I went back to having my own natural nails. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother 

I wear my nails very short so even after 5 weeks of growth, they're not unsightly.  My nails aren't thick so they still look natural.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.