Respected Contributor

Do you prefer Gel, Acrylic or dip nails?

I've  been getting Gel nails for years, tried the Acrylic several times but preferred Gel. For my last 2 nail salon visits including today I got the dipped nail procedure and I really like it !  It last longer and I love the choice of colors. I wash my hands alot and several times I lost a gel nail before my next appointment. Not a problem with the dip nails.  If you go to the nail salon which type do you like best and why ?

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you prefer Gel, Acrylic or dip nails?

Love dipped! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've tried all three and I prefer hard gel nails, with gel polish on top.  For me, hard gel nails last longer than acrylic and they don't lift. Dipped powder just didn't make my nails feel strong. With hard gel nails I can go 5 weeks before I need to get them filled.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not familiar with dipped nails.  I used to get acrylics and  a long time ago got wraps.  I moved on to powder & glue but over the last year have been getting just a regular manicure.  It's simple & cheaper. 

To keep my nails looking good and keep the polish from chipping, I just add a coat of clear topcoat once or twice before my next appointment.  My nails hold up very well. 

I will have to ask what dipped nails are at my next appointment.

ETA:  I just Googled "dipped nails" and low and behold they are what my technician has been calling "powder & glue for years"!  I had been having that done for a very long time.

It worked very well for me for at least fifteen years.  However, over the last year or two for some reason it just wasn't working as well.  I don't know if it was the quality of the items that she used but my nails would lift too often.  Sometimes I would get nail fungus which was disgusting! I would let it grow out then it would come back.

I decided to stop that technique and just go with a regular manicure and so far that's been working out really well for me.

Honored Contributor

I'm just curious - I'm not knowledgeable about these different types of nail procedures.  Can someone explain what the difference is and can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much each of these procedures costs?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

None of the above.  I do my own fingernails.  Every two weeks I trim, file and buff them.  I like to keep them very short, clean and shiny.  I have only had one manicure and that was for my wedding.  I do get a pedicure every month at a nail salon but only do polish in the summer.  Most of the time it is regular polish, sometimes gel. 

Honored Contributor

Since I retired, I only get manicures and usually no polish.

When I was working, I used gel nails and loved it. It's more expensive but worth it.

Honored Contributor

Call me old fashioned but I still get a regular manicure with regular nail polish, I have long, strong nails and dont need or want anything going on them but polish that is free of chemicals. 

Honored Contributor

I had acrylic nails for quite a while until gel nails came out.  If an acrylic nail cracks, it's major pain until it can be fixed; for that reason I preferred gel nails so I would have less broken nails.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Goodie2shoes 

I have had acrylic nails in the past.  And I am old enough to have even used the Lee Press Ons!  But now I just do my own nails.  I used to have them painted but the upkeep of the chips got to be too much work.  Now I just us the perfect gel coat on my finger nails.  I do my own pedicure, too.  I like Expressie for quick drying on my toes.  

I must do a good job,  A woman at yoga class told me I "have the prettiest feet and hands. it's really unsual"  LOL.