Regular Contributor

Re: Do you highlight or color at home?

I have liked using Wella Demi Permanent Color from Sally to touch up roots.  I have used the 8 either in the ash or the natural- you can ask if you go to Sally- sometimes they have hair styling students who work there who can help you - You get the Wella Color Charm Lotion and it is very mild. Do not mix it with regular developer. 

For Highlights I have to go to a Salon. Have tried to do myself but It never came out light enough. 

You can save on the root color by doing it yourself and then spring for the highlights whenever you can. 

In between I have used Color Wow root cover- it's a powder cover up. Very light texture but does cover. 

Esteemed Contributor

I do roots at home; it's no big deal. Just every now and then it seems to come out too dark, (for my preference) and I wonder if it is because they change the formula.

I've done highlights, too, but still toy with which color to use for those. One or two shades lighter doesn't seem to be highlight enough.

Esteemed Contributor

I color at home sometimes using  Nutrisse or if I want a semi permanent, Natural Instincts. I buy the light ash brown color, and it has always turned out well. Haven't had bad color yet. 

I tried Colorsilk, but that dried out my hair. The other brands work better. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

I color my own hair - Clairol Natural Instincts (No Ammonia) - Dark Brown, re-do every 4-5 weeks, luckily, I don't have too much gray yet.

Contributor

Why don't you try this....just stop.  Stop putting anything on your hair and let it grow naturally. It will do wonders for the health of your hair and more than likely have far more compliments like I did.  I'm done putting any color anything on my hair.  Try it.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been using madison reed for the past couple years and am pretty happy with it.  Last month I bought one of their highlighting kits and painted on a few highlights around my face.  It was pretty subtle and actually came out looking good.

Honored Contributor

I just used Madison Reed this weekend and I love it... My hair feels super soft and the color is so pretty- I have used this brand before....Expensive though!

Trusted Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I just used Madison Reed this weekend and I love it... My hair feels super soft and the color is so pretty- I have used this brand before....Expensive though!

@CANDLEQUEEN I agree!  The only thing that makes it cheaper for me is that I'm not paying for the drying/styling at the salon.  I think my salon used to charge an extra $30-$35 for that.  The last time I bought it at Ulta and used a coupon, so it was  a little cheaper than buying online.

Super Contributor

oh my god NO! I did once years ago and it looked like black shoe polish on my head. It pays to go to a professional!!!!

Respected Contributor

I started getting my hair professionally highlighted in my early 20s.  After my second child was born I didn't have time to have it done on a regular basis so I started dying my own hair to cover the grey by dying it a color close to my nautral color.   I did not highlight.  I would never highlight on my own.  I am sure I would make a mess.  After about 5 years of dying my own hair, I missed the highlights and went back to the salon.  Now I get a double process every three months.   I keep up with the roots myself using Clariol root touch up.