Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you do this with eyeliner?

While I agree that lining the waterline of the lower lashes can make your eyes look smaller, it does the opposite on the upper lashes.

I don't have a lot of lid space and my eyes look smaller if I line the upper lash above the lashes regardless of how fine the line is.  However, if I put liner in the upper waterline, my eyes look bigger and brighter.

I have very sensitive eyes and have never had any type of infection from using the liner in the upper waterline.  The only issue I've ever had is that certain liners will spread onto lower waterline when first blinking after application so I'll have to clean that up.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  YES absolutely!!  Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Frequent Contributor

I'm in my 50's and do both lower lash liner and upper/lower waterline in brown and black mascara.  Not harsh or vampie.  Never had an infection or any other medical issues.  I like the lookfor me. 

eyes.jpg

Honored Contributor

I do not line the inner rim bottom or top.  I don't care what they say, it makes the eyes look smaller.  I have large eyes and I don't like the look on me.    

Respected Contributor

Over the upper lashes and under the lower lashes...never the inner rims. My eyes are small (in a rather large face) and I wear glasses, so they badly need definition to even be seen. I always do a soft, smudgy line using dark eyeshadow--it's easier to control, and more flattering on my crepey, 63 year-old eyelids.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I take my pencil and work it between the upper lash hairs to make my lashes appear thicker. Sometimes I'll take it down under to the waterline on the upper rim only. That gives a more defined look overall.  I never put a line above my lashes. 

That word tightline just means close to the actual lash line...can be at the lash line itself, just above it or just below it. Just as long as it's 'tight' to the lashes.

Exactly @SilleeMee. The one thing you never want to see is skin between liner and lashes. You can also do what you’re doing plus dot liner between lashes if sparse for even more definition. 

@Shanus One of my biggest pet peeves is being able to see skin between liner and lashes...and I see it a lot! I don't line my inner rims, but I do work that liner brush into my lashes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I line my lower lid with powder shadow and the upper is tigntlined with gel pencil.

I also line my lower inner rim with a soft color. I have an interesting eye shape and eye color so rather than make my eyes look small, it defines the shape.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I no longer use any eye  make up. Occasionally a little mascara,

Eye makeup on 60 plus woman looks SO BAD.

@SeaMaiden I know you'll have a lot of people here disagree with you, me being one of them. If done tastefully, eye makeup can look beautiful on a more mature woman. 

It really depends upon the individual. Generalizations generally Smiley Happy don't work. I'm a person who looks rather dead without some eye makeup (at least concealer above and below, liner, and mascara -- I could probably get aways with shadow but I like it).

I'm not saying that I won't show my face with makeup, but it does make me look alive, which I consider a good thing.

@Texasmouse& @SeaMaiden

Of course I meant "away without shadow" and then "without makeup." :-)

Jeez, I am a messy poster.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@mommaslp You have beautiful eyes!

Trusted Contributor

I can't tightline because it clogs the meibomian glands along the eyelids. Having Dry Eye, it's important to keep that area clear.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004