Regular Contributor

Re: ?Difference in 2 OPI Nail Polishes?

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn  The one with the black cap is regular nail polish (dries through evaporation of solvents). The silver capped one is a type of polish that has additional ingredients that can result in longer wear, but doesnt require a UV lamp.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@moonandthestars  Yes, there are often veryb similar colors in collections. However, in this case, @MakeUpMaidn is talking about the SAME color polish in different OPI lines. OPI has done this for years. Each color in the collection is available in regular, gel-like, gel and dip powder.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn  The Infinite Shine line is supposed to last a bit longer than regular polish (as long as the 3-step system is followed). It is easier to remove than the gel version. As a side note, if you intend to add thinner, I would only purchase the regular version. It's one thing to add solvents to a polish that dries through evaporation, quite another to add it to a product that cures (even partially) through a chenical reaction. I'm still doing a bit of research on these products. But not now...it's almost 4 in the morning, so this rabbit hole is going to have to wait!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm  At the time OPI introduced the Infinite Shine line, gel-like polishes were the hot, new trend. However, there were plenty of people happily using regular polish who had no desire to change. Others might have been turned off by the mention of "gel." I'm sure there were gel lovers who found an less expensive option they could use at home desirable (even if it meant a shorter wear time). Me? At that point I had moved almost entirely to the indie world and was changing polish every 1-2 days. Longer wear? Why would I care about that? Plus there's always the body chemistry factor. 

Regular Contributor

@OneHappyHiker  My question to you would be if you used all three steps as instructed, including proper prep? That could indeed make a difference. Then there's body chemistry. Bottom line is that all 4 choices sell enough to warrant continuing to offer them.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 OPI has 3 different line of polish

black cap - regular polish

silver cap - Infinite Shine (gel-like polish)

white cap - gel polish

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The difference is NOT in the color it is in the formula, one is the original nail lacquer, other is Infinite Shine which is their formula for a polish that is supposed to mimic a gel, but it is not a real gel. 

Honored Contributor

@juperier3 wrote:

@haddon9 OPI has 3 different line of polish

black cap - regular polish

silver cap - Infinite Shine (gel-like polish)

white cap - gel polish

@juperier3 Interesting!  I will ask about the siliver cap one next time I get my nails done.  I'm assuming that it's supposed to give nails a gel like finish but with a regular manicure.

Super Contributor

@juperier3  Yes, I followed directions exactly and still had problems with the shine dulling pretty quickly, within a few days, and chips developing. I love doing my own nails as it's relaxing, so I've learned how to do a good prep for lacquer, gel, or even dip. I think the prep is key to longevity with any product, but I'm even happy with wear time using regular polish because I like to switch out colors.

The sales guy at Sally's said he wears the darker colors so he can easily see if the shine dulls quickly. He said the Infinite Shine doesn't work for him either.  I was happy something (maybe hair products) I was using wasn't the culprit. Like you said, body chemistry is always a factor. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@juperier3 Oh, I guess I misunderstood?  I thought she mentioned the names of the two new colors that look very similar (not just the different opi lines) and was wondering what the dif. was.

@juperier3 wrote:

@moonandthestars  Yes, there are often veryb similar colors in collections. However, in this case, @MakeUpMaidn is talking about the SAME color polish in different OPI lines. OPI has done this for years. Each color in the collection is available in regular, hybrid, gel and dip powder.