Honored Contributor

Was reading another thread on here re: decluttering.  I have done and am doing that.  My question is:  When you try a new cosmetic brand do you toss all your currently owned items of another brand or do you store them and go back to them in a rotation or at least wait to see if you will use them again?     I have two or three brands I like okay, but no longer favorites and I am keeping them in a rotation to try to finish them.  (none are expired)  These items to take up space though.

Respected Contributor

Know exactly what you’re talking about. I have the same issue with skin care products and makeup.. I hate to throw away good products just because I found something a little better. Usually I have multiples of each product.

Esteemed Contributor

I declutter color cosmetics if I am no longer going to wear them. I am not someone who will do penance and do a project pan or try and use something up. If I no longer want it and won't use it then out it goes!

I've watched enough youtubers who decided to project pan color cosmetics like a blush or use an eyeshadow palette for a month at a time and you could tell that they totally started to resent having to use the same thing every single day. And even then the beauty youtuber never used up the blush in a whole year of using it. 

To me makeup should be fun and when it's not - like the wrong colored eyeshadows or a grungy looking palette or single pan of blush, then I don't want to use it so it's out!

Honored Contributor

If I added up the value of makeup I have grown tired of or don't like anymore and tossed, I would be sick! If I never use something or don't love it, it has to go.

Honored Contributor

Keep your favorites and out of the older products just keep what you really want and need.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I just threw out some Perricone and some other expensive products that I've been watching gathering dust.

That felt good. 

Respected Contributor

I use to buy when the cosmetics were on sale and now I have stopped and only buy when I need. I got tired of finding a brand only to see it discontinued/replaced with something else. I decluttered a couple of months ago and was a little surprised at how many different cosmetic brands I had and did not use any more.

I purchased several clear containers/organizers so I could see the items...then I just tossed any open/unused containers. My next step was to asked my friends if they used certain brands...if they did I just gave the items to them. I discovered my mother and I used the same facial powder so I gave her all of my stock.

Trusted Contributor

Several years ago I went through my drawers & bathroom cabinets to declutter - so many kits had items I didn’t like, use or need, I had SO many lipsticks, but the colors were simply not to my liking. I took everything to a friend who is a police officer, I wanted him to give the items to a women’s shelter, so many women leave their homes with just the clothes they are wearing, never mind makeup! Since the location of the shelter isn’t given out, for obvious reasons, I’m so glad we could get this done. It’s time for me to declutter again, not just makeup, but skincare as well, I have WAY too much! I encourage you all who are decluttering to do the same, give  the items to the police, and ask them to deliver them to a local shelter - trust me, it will be appreciated!

Honored Contributor

If I buy a new mascara, I throw the old one out.  If I am buying a new one it's has to be because the old one is almost used up or the old one is not working for me and I bought one I like better.  Why hang on to the old one ??????   Same with foundation, I like stick foundation.  I keep one in my makeup bag and one in my bathroom.  I do not hold onto the ones that almost used up and I don't buy a new one until one is practically used up.  I only ever have the two.  It's a little dicier with lip color and nail polish.  I do love them and I am always buying new colors so organization is the problem.  I have clear boxes that I got from Amazon and I keep all my lipsticks and nail polishes in one that is about the size of a shoe box.  It's full so if I buy a new one, I throw out an old one.  Eyebrow pencils are not a problem but I just bought a new brow system so if I love that and if it works for me; I will toss out my eybrow pencils.  I don't use eyeliner.  I only have one blush.  If I buy a new one,  I will toss the old one.  I've had clutter when it comes to my closet, dresser draws and my shoes but never with my makeup.  

Respected Contributor

I have a passion for lipstick.  I have made quite a few boo boos this spring and summer with my purchases.  I keep going back to my old tried and true favorites.  My to do list tomorrow afternoon is to purge my stash and keep only the lip colors I love and wear often.  Then I plan to enter a 12 step program to help overcome my addiction to lipstick.  I rarely make mistakes with foundations, eyeshadow, blush, and skin care.  I've used the same brands and colors for years and they work great for me.   I have found that good old Mayebelline mascara is just as good as the expensive brands.  I also have stopped purchasing eyeshadow that comes in a pallet with 53 colors and 12 brushes.  Total waste of money.  That reminds me.  I need to get rid of all those eyeshadow brushes.