New Contributor

DO NOT PURCHASE JOSIE MARAN BOARD SPECTRUM SPF 45.

I purchased 2 bottles 1 1/2 years ago I just opened a new bottle and it has a bad smell!

NO EXPERATION DATE ON THE BOTTLE.

There should be one on the bottle not matter what I was told I should of read it has a 2 year shelf live from her websight, I do not believe it at 60 dollars a bottle.

QVC did not help me or Josie's customer service all I wanted was an exchange.

WHEN QVC SAYS TO STOCK UP DO NOT (HER OIL TO).

I hope this is more important than looking at her nails coming from a person that has skin cancer in her family.

QVC NOT GOOD YOUR HOST ARE PUSHING STOCK UP AND SAVE.

I LOVE ALL HER PRODUCTS AND WILL CONTINUE TO PURCHASE BUT ONLY 1 UNTIL I FINISH ANOTHER!!!

QVC I WILL BE CONTACTING HER CORPORATE OFFICE (I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE BUT I AM NOT GIOING TO SIT BACK.

Contributor

Totally agree. I had body butter and a bottle of Argon oil go rancid. Her stuff does the samething as olive or vegetable oil. I do not stock up on anything made with oil. I also do not buy Josie Maron stuff on eBay due to short shelf life.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO NOT STOCK UP

[ Edited ]

WOW,Thanks!  I didn't know this. I have a HUGE stash  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I hate to beat a dead horse, but when a cosmetic company makes products without using effective preservatives, such as parabens, then their products may not last long. I've been saying this for quite some time and until people realize just how safe and effective parabens really are then claims about product spoilage will continue. My advice is to put your products in the fridge and use the cold environment as a way to protect and prolong your 'natural' stuff. 

Trusted Contributor

I was not aware of this problem.  I had a lot of the body butter, some for at least  6 months to a year and I never noticed this problem.

i will not stock up.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Regular Contributor

This is sage advice.  Stock up only if you are going to share it with others or if you know in advance how much you use per month.  Oils are sensitive to heat, light and humidity.  I buy Josie's once a year when it comes in a TSV as a super size but I have smaller bottles to share it with my family and friends and it still lasts a long time.  I would never buy two years worth of it because since it has no preservatives it will go rancid before I even know what to do with it.

Honored Contributor

Re: DO NOT STOCK UP

[ Edited ]

@grandma Maria.  Sun block products deteriorate rapidly and should be replenished every year.

.I was mistaken in my statement above,  the FDA requires it to be effective for 3 years.  If it's less, it should have the expiration date.

Does Sunscreen Expire?

Does Sunscreen Expire? Find out when most go bad—and why some don't have expiration dates

Woman putting on sunscreen

JGI/Jamie Grill/Blend Images/Getty Images 

When summer rolls around, and you dig through your closet and find some sunscreen that you still have from last year, you might wonder: Wait, does sunscreen expire? And if it has expired, does that mean that I can't use it anymore?

Not All Sunscreens Have Expiration Dates

Most sunscreens have a three-year shelf life. In these cases, the FDA does not require an expiration date to be printed on the product's packaging. However, in sunscreen products that expire in less than three years, manufacturers are required to print an expiration date on the label.

This is not very helpful when you find a tube of sunscreen in the back of a drawer and you can't remember when you bought it. Even if you did, it could already have been older stock on the shelf if you bought it on sale.

If you don't go through sunscreen quickly, start writing the month and year that you bought it on the tube with a permanent marker, or on a piece of tape and attach it to the bottle or tube. Then discard the sunscreen after three years (at the most).

How to Tell Whether Sunscreen Has Expired

To determine whether sunscreen has expired, first, look for an expiration date on the label. Many manufacturers do print an expiration date on sunscreen. If there is no expiration date, you can always call the customer service number that's listed on the label. You can provide them with the codes that are printed on the bottle and they can tell you whether or not it has expired. The codes printed on the label track the date, batch, and location of where your bottle was manufactured.

Why Expiration Dates Matter

After sunscreens expire, the chemicals begin to degrade and separate, making them less effective. Eventually, old sunscreens will crystallize and separate, and they may have a foul odor. Keep in mind that extreme temperatures can also make sunscreen become less effective, despite its expiration date. When in doubt, toss the old sunscreen that you have and buy a new one. Make sure the new one has "broad spectrum" coverage for maximum protection and an SPF of at least 30.

Are You Using Enough?

If you find an old bottle of sunscreen around the house, it might be an indication that you aren't using enough when you apply it—or that you're not applying it daily. Applying sunscreen daily and correctly reduces the risk of skin cancer and premature aging.

Not using enough sunscreen during application is a common mistake. The rule of thumb is to use about one ounce of sunscreen per adult all over the body in the summer—in other words, enough to fill a shot glass. In the wintertime, you may be more covered up. When you're exposing less skin to the sun's UV rays, you don't have to use as much. However, you still need to protect the skin that is exposed, such as the hands, the face, the ears, the neck, and if you're balding, the top of the head.

And don't forget about exposure to the sun through car windows (especially on your left forearm and left hand) and perhaps through your office window. It's a good idea to put sunscreen on first thing in the morning after you shower—when you make it a habit, you're less likely to forget to do it

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Anything with SPF always has a finite shelf life.  I have purchased the JM moisturizer in the past and it always came with the expiration date printed on the bottle. I am suprised yours didn't have it.  I got burned with am expensive Philosophy SPF moisturizer. It contained the chemical kind which doesn't last as long as mineral. "Stocked up" on it when it was a great price. Never got to open it before it expired.  Lesson learned!  I do think the Q is diligent about disclosing shelf life though.  Perhaps it varies depending on storage conditions.

Respected Contributor

I have stocked up on L’Occitane and have the same problem. And my spare I had stored in my refrigerator. It is really on the edge, but I am going to use it up anyway on my feet and elbows.

So just storing the stuff in the refrigerator is a help but it still has a shelf life.

Honored Contributor

I no longer stock up on anything besides paper towels and TP!  There are new products coming onto the market every week and when I already have a stock, I want to use that first.  Then nothing is fresh.