Honored Contributor

I have a refrigerator just for my skin care. I refrigerate anything oil or cream if they are extras.  Never have ad anything go bad...even past expired dates. Works for me

Honored Contributor

I have to learn not to stock up too.   I find a cosmetic I like and then stock up if there are sales, good kits, etc.  Then before I know it, I find I like another brand even better.  I will not just toss good products so I have to use them  by doing a rotation.  I almost never have had anything go bad.  

Honored Contributor

I saw a show once about managing money and what not to do when spending it. One thing that was discussed was to avoid buying stuff just because it's on sale and not to buy a bunch of it especially when you already have enough of it to begin with. I'm for sure guilty of that and I have found myself throwing things away because of one reason or another. Now I just buy things whenever I run out or getting close to that. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I hate to beat a dead horse, but when a cosmetic company makes products without using effective preservatives, such as parabens, then their products may not last long. I've been saying this for quite some time and until people realize just how safe and effective parabens really are then claims about product spoilage will continue. My advice is to put your products in the fridge and use the cold environment as a way to protect and prolong your 'natural' stuff. 

I keep my Mad Hippy facial oil in the frig!

Have you seen those homes where there’s a refrigerator built-in the bathroom?  Make so much sense...

Honored Contributor

I also have stocked up on super size argan oil and body butter and had them be rancid when I first opened them.

What a waste of $$, so I agree with others, don't stock up, buy it as you need it.

There's always another good deal on it comin' along.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

Re: DO NOT STOCK UP

[ Edited ]

Well that stinks that you had to experience that however, I stash JM products all the time and never had a problem but i dont keep them for years. The only product that starts to smell funny are the little color sticks. You do have to use some common sense here too. When vendors says stock up, they assume that you will use the product in a reasonable amount of time. A year and a half is a long time for a skin care product to stay effective especilly if its derived of natural resources.

The advice here for putting skin care items in the fridge is a good idea especially if you're not gonna be using it for years. Also, the quality of the products depend on how YOU stored them. The bottle says, keep away from direct sunlight and heat. It also has an expiration date on the bottom of the bottle. If its humid or hot where you live or the products got exposed to something else, that could be a major factor in them going bad and thats not JM fault.  

Just fyi, when you use capital letters in writing, it means youre yelling at others. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

I rarely stock up on anything even if it's on sale.  For me, a sale is a buying opportunity to buy one, not multiples.  We do buy the large Costco packages of TP though, something I really don't want to run out of.  

Respected Contributor

That is disconcerting.  I'm about to receive my first JM item..... The self-tanning body butter duo.  She said use one this summer and one next.  I really only need it for my pasty legs!  I hope it doesn't go bad.

Esteemed Contributor

I love josie maran, use tons of her products and have never had a bad experience, but i do fall for the "stock up" hype when the prices are really good and am just in the process of realizing how foolish I've been.  I am always buying lotions, creams and oils because my skin is so dry, but seldom have the patience to put them on because I really need a minute or 2 to absorb, which I never have in the morning when I shower and dress, which is the time to put on these products.  I just realized a few days ago that I have dozens of jars that will probably take me a few years to use up, bought at great sales prices: Wen (body treatment and oils, love!), Josie, Korres and Sri Vectin and Perricone for good measure.  All these products work well for me.  but recently the Wen oils started melting the dropper caps and I had to buy new bottles.  And of course I keep buying new products because I want to try the new technology and they have such a sale!  Josie's Milk is great and I signed up for AD!  I organized what I have so I can see it and stop buying.  I need help!!!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

That is disconcerting.  I'm about to receive my first JM item..... The self-tanning body butter duo.  She said use one this summer and one next.  I really only need it for my pasty legs!  I hope it doesn't go bad.

It takes years to go bad, so don't worry.