Esteemed Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

If she does mean over her makeup...I would imagine she presses in a drop or 2 to achieve a dewey look.

The question I have is wouldn't that also press the makeup into the pores? I wouldn't want that.

I use a drop of oil mixed w/ moisturizer as a last step. In my case, I am using the oil more as an occlusive, not necessarily as a treatment.

It does make sense to me to use an oil first, if you are using it for nutrient; i.e., treatment, value.

But among the popular facial oils, I think argan's composition is more suited to a last step.

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

I put a drop or 2 on my wrist, I take a beauty blender designated for the oil and I lightly pat it around. It gives a dewy  look rather than a shiny look. If any makeup comes off it's probably a good thing. 😆 I tend to be heavy handed.

Honored Contributor

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. Personally, if my skin is super dry, I apply a drop of oil directly to my skin, let it sink in, moisturize and the spf goes on last. During the day, if I feel/see dryness, usually around my eyes, I may add another dot over the spf and any concealer I have on, but not enough to disturb the spf.

My advice? Follow what it says on your sunscreen or ask your derm.

Esteemed Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@KBEANS 

It is cold in Minneapolis--very hard on our skin. I have been doing the same as you--putting my oil on LAST whether in the evening or over my makeup in the am.

I love the dewey look it creates.

Doesn't putting oil on makeup remove the makeup @magicmoodz ?

@San Antonio Gal 

It does sound counterintuitive, doesn't it? But basically on clean hands I put just a few drops of oil and if I think it is too much I will wipe any excess on a clean towel. I then very very gently pat the oil on my face. When using over concealer or foundation, I am not doing this to act as a moisturizer, but rather to give my skin a healty dewy look. I sometimes think a flat matte look is aging (on me).

As far as clogging pores, the jury is still out. Not sure this method is worse than just wearing foundation. After I wash my face I always use Dr. Hauschka facial toner (love) that makes my skin feel squeaky clean.