Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you are going to layer your products, then yes, thinnest to thickest in that order. However oil application really has no special place in line. Oils can be used to seal in other products, they can boost penetration of others or they can be mixed with serums or moisturisers to help those along, too. Oils have a multipurpose application, depending on what you need or want and there is no set order to apply them.

For sunscreen application...if you use a chemical (or organic) type of sunscreen product then most of those should be applied directly onto the skin as the directions say to do. Chemical sunscreens are treated like a skincare product where it needs to get absorbed into the skin for it to work properly. You can apply a vitamin C serum under a chemical sunscreen to enhance sun protection. But that is all you should wear under a chemical sunscreen.  For mineral (physical) type sunscreens, you can layer those on after your skincare products, including moisturizers. Mineral sunscreens work like an umbrella where it blocks or shades the UV light rather than absorbing it like a chemical sunscreen would do.

@SilleeMee  I agree completely with your post. I have always followed Josie's advice to apply her oils as last steps to seal in what has gone before.

As far as applying sunscreen as a last step as another poster recommended, I have never done that nor would I ever.  My sunscreen goes on first.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I only bought one of her products maybe 1 year ago.  

I have very dry skin so after every shower I have to put on one that's specifically for dry skin and then over that I often put on the Amazing Grace lotion (the one in the jar).

So, one time I thought I'd try the Josie product where you wash with it.  I can't remember what it was called but it was specifically for washing while showering.

When I went to wash it off, I stepped around the shower to let the water flow over me.

Well, I slipped.  I keep a rug in the shower made specifically so people won't slip.  Even the rug was slippery.  It scared the heck out of me because at that time I was still getting used to my new knees.  I hadn't broken my back yet, thank goodness.

I had to get out of the shower and scrub the entire shower down, throw away the rug and get a new one.

I never used it again.  Maybe it was just something I did wrong, but I don't see how.  It wasn't mixed with any other product.

I remember that I'd posted my experience here before and several people commented similar happened to them (that it made things way too slippery).

I figure her product must work for some people because she obviously has a following.

However, I can't be one of them.  I use Philosophy in the shower and my date-time routine involves all Dr. Denese products.

Honored Contributor

Re: DISAGREE WITH JOSIE

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@Shanus - I don't use this, but I use her milk. Usually it's the only product I use other than sunscreen. If I got this would I put it on after the milk? (I haven't been watching- Zoom training session all morning!) Smiley Happy

The milk is a serum so that should go on first. Mineral sunscreen last. Chemical sunscreens always go on first or over a vitamin C serum, not any other kind of serum under a chemical sunscreen.

Respected Contributor

Re: DISAGREE WITH JOSIE

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

I can tell by your many posts that you are very knowledgeable in the makeup department. I see how many ask for your opinion time and time again. I too take your suggestions, and love to see when someone shouts out for your help. I think the reason why JM puts this as the last step is because her oil is considered the brands moisturizer. There are days I put it on first, bare skin, before my makeup routine. Other days I press this in over my makeup especially if my makeup looks cakey or too powdery.

Who knows? But I'm sure glad we have options. I always read the tips and suggestions you give, and I appreciate your input!

Respected Contributor

This is an interesting thread. I just ordered a kit from HSN that has the Korres oil in it and I plan to use it as a moisturizer so will try it last. I have other serums that I apply first.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS  I'm happy you enjoy my tips, etc. I'm an aesthetician and makeup artist. Mine are suggestions for the best effects from a product. Because her oil has active ingredients, vitamins she just added, etc., I doubt they'd help your skin if not applied first. I use facial oils, too. I use a Vit. C serum as my first step and if my skin feels dry later in the day, I tap on some organic argan or marula oil over what's on my face...even if it's makeup. 

The oil in Josie's TSV is of course your choice to apply whenever or in whatever order. 

Honored Contributor

To clarify, it goes by the thickness of the product. If you use a very runny serum, that would be first, if Josie's serum is very thick and you use as moisturizer it would go on after. Personally, if an oil has vitamins and nutrients,I'd want that on my skin first.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

I didn't realize you are a professional. I'm new to the boards only since June. Now I know why everyone shouts you out! 😂

I look forward to your input. It's good of you to lend your professional opinion to us. Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

I dont use oils, but I have read that they go on last. 

Esteemed Contributor

I generally mix the oil with my lotion.  Sometimes at night I will just put the oil on my face, neck and hands, even my feet.   It works pretty well for me,  I also have been using more of the Beekman oils which I prefer.  I'm not a make up wearer so I guess it doesn't effect me order wise.

Watching Josie's show this afternoon with JT, but it's kind of sad..........really emotional caller Smiley Sad    Surprised they let her go on and on.