Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Moderate March

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

Some of the shoddiest workmanship I've ever seen in my life.  I see every flaw and there are many.  BH was getting annoyed with all my "negativity."

I don't know what they'll fix and what they won't, but some of the things I see are mindboggling.

Attention to detail?  Must have died around 1962.  All I know is this: I'm sounding like an old person more and more each day.

Next I'll be yelling at people to get off my lawn.  And we don't even have a lawn.

Yay, you are in your home.  That was a long journey.  The range of feelings will be interesting as you start to unpack. 

That is me too, I can find the flaw in anything.  Gift from my mom.  Thanks, Mom. 

@aprilskies 

Yeah, and people think you're the problem!  I worked in Quality Assurance when I started in the semiconductor industry.  They'd get angry when I'd find defects on silicon wafers.  Wait, that's why you're paying me to work here, right?

Oh, it's been interesting so far.  Last summer when I was sorting through all my landfill-bound possessions, there was a drawer full of wine glasses that we'd collected from local wine festivals.  And there was a jar in the shape of a jack-o'-lantern.  BH did not want to keep these items.

So one of the first boxes I unpack has 11 wine glasses from wine festivals and a jar in the shape of a jack-o'-lantern.

We were both confused.  As it turns out, the person who was packing up our kitchen last year was confused as to why we would leave glasses behind.  BH finally told him to pick out a few and leave the rest.  We had two of those jars and I thought we'd left both behind.  I thought we'd lost all the glasses.

Just goes to show how many things we had that we really didn't need.  But I'm sure I'll be able to put those glasses to good use if BH doesn't get to them first.

@just bee 

Exactly!  The OG started out in Quality Control.  Then he started his own independent quality certified lab.  That was our business.  The stories I could tell you!  😱

Naive as we were when we start out, we quickly found out that the companies that hired us did not actually want us to tell them when their prototypes were flawed.  They just wanted to cover their ****** with the government that all their runs were good.

That's why I ended up with a Maverick instead of a Pinto.  The engineers knew **** well those gas tanks exploded on impact.  At least they were protecting my *** in that instance too.😉

ETA:  Interesting.  I'm going to have to find another method to censor my dirty words.  Seems that Big Brother has cracked my code.🧐😊

@geezerette 

Oh, don't get me started.  I moved from Quality to Production Supervisor and was horrified that the other supervisors cheated and gave their people the answers to the written tests.  I became Training Coordinator and created a database to capture what training was completed and what wasn't and I moved the tests online.  And there was no way to cheat.

After an ISO audit I was told by the auditors that my training system was one of the best they'd seen and it was foolproof.  Very impressed they were.  I don't think the company was as smitten because people actually had to be trained before they could be certified.

Right after September 11 I was let go.  But I noticed the majority of those laid off had one thing in common: We were all 40 or older.

Oh -- and you had to mention Ford, huh? Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies 

Thank you for your kind wishes.❤️  I've been fighting the urge to be critical, which is my natural state.☺️  I know the situation wasn't as serious when he was exposed, but why did they have to go out anyway?  

But I'm seeing so many people that have been so judgmental of others for so long that are now continuing that and being totally unreasonable and unrealistic.  And being critical of the very people that they're now relying on for survival.  Yet they still don't see what they're doing.  So I'm trying to be a good girl.😇  (It's tough.😉)

I hope you and your parents are doing well.  I know it must be even more challenging for you now.  Please do remember to take time for yourself to decompress.  

I totally agree about being aware of all we have taken for granted.  I was raised by parents that endured many hardships, but I was fortunate enough to not have to go through any of those really tough times.  None of us have. 

Oddly, or perhaps not oddly, it just reinforces my opinion about having less but appreciating what I do have.  Finding out my basic priorities.  Not the dozens of things I've been told that should be important to me.  My choices.  

I might be wrong, but I think that having less in times like this would make it easier to deal with.  I don't really know why I feel this.  Having what I actually use and what I actually enjoy, instead of all the excess I seem to keep finding I still have.  

But that's just me.  I'm getting old. And I have a head full of pollen.🥴

@geezerette, I think there has been so much misinformation out there and still continues to be that I dont think people know what to make of it. A lot of people are still out but the streets this morning were absolutely deserted. So while maybe not everyone is taking it seriously, a lot are. I like Costco's setup. Controlled amount of people in the store so you can social distance as best you can any way. Kind of hard when people come right on you. ShopRite, not sure why they are not implementing the same kind of practice.  But I dont blame anyone for getting it. I think everyone is doing the best they can. This isnt easy by any stretch. And for those not taking it seriously, well I dont know what to say for them. But I do blame the media and all the misinformation. 

I want to know why is it so hard not to touch your face? 

I totally agree about having less things. I think it gives you more strength and energy to deal with things as they come up. Last year, I was dealing with a lot of things with my folks, more than usual, I was exhausted and when I came home, mentally I became more exhausted.  I will say during this crisis I am having the same issues. I want less to deal with. So, this feeling is just too strong not to take it seriously. 

I agree, I want things around that are my choice and things I use.  I really think mentally it will make a difference. 

But in April, I will attempt a no buy aside from essential things. I have to break this need to shop. And it is a need and it doesnt matter the category. 

Stay safe and keep pruning those bushes. 

@aprilskies 

What I want to know is why my face is always the thing on my body that needs touching the most.  And even more so when I'm out somewhere germ-y.  My nose itches or drips, my glasses slip and  need adjusting, my hair flys in my eyes, etc., etc., etc.  And then when I'm told not to touch my face, that's all I can think about!😂

I hear ya on the shopping too.  It's the same as the bad food.  I know I shouldn't do it and that I'll end up paying for it in the end, but yet, I go ahead anyway.  March was to be my no-buy month, but that went by the wayside with having to get more than necessary "just in case".  (And in some cases, I was definitely glad I did buy those extras.)  

And I also used the crisis as an excuse to buy food I had no business buying.  I used every excuse in the book with my better self: "Grab what you can while you can.  We might not be able to get any food soon!" ,  "Sure you're stockpiling junk food.  You can handle it this time." "The world is coming to end, you might as well pig-out now!" 😂   Yeah, right.  Famous last words.

The thing that irritates me so much is that I know better.  I'm not totally freaked out about all this virus stuff.  And the way our society is dealing with it doesn't surprise me at all.  (Disappoints me, but doesn't surprise me.)  While I wasn't exactly "prepared" for it, I always knew something could happen at any time.

My point is that even in my dotage, I might be getting senile, but I'm not stupid.  Again, I know better.  But I do it anyway.  If that isn't the definition of an addiction, I don't know what is.  I guess the first step is admitting it, which is supposed to be the hardest.

Sign me up for a 12-step program.🙁

@geezerette 

I'm still not understanding why food is back on the store shelves but toilet paper isn't.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee - I am so glad to hear that you are back in your house! I can only imagine how good it must feel to be back home, even if it is new/old. 

I totally get what you are saying about shoddy workmanship though. We built our house 8 years ago and I am amazed at how many things we've already had to replace and how many problems we've had since the day we moved in. I thought getting everything brand new we wouldn't have any home repairs for years, but no. I can't even tell you how many things hubby has had to fix/repair since we moved in. 

And it doesn't matter what the "category" either, plumbing, electrical, structural, we've had issues with it all. We still have things that aren't working right like electrical switches/outlets that don't work right because we haven't bothered to call an electrician back to fix it. This house cost a fortune to build and it's absolutely ridiculous.