Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Adaptable April

@just bee wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@geezerette Well, I'm glad you shared that but sorry to hear it. And maybe a little bit horrified. Are we children, taking pleasure in getting away with something?

But I just heard from a colleague who lives in a semi-rural area that hasn't seen many local cases yet. Told me that about 1/2 the people are observing the stay at home protocol, and 1/2 are roaming freely, no mask, no distancing, because they are "proudly independent of the government." And my colleague is in that latter half, which is something I wish I hadn't foud out, because now I can't un-know it.

Except for the health care folks we're trying to protect, I wonder if "opening" won't be even more stressful than staying at home?

@KaySD 

The difference is that when communities start to open up again, people will have a choice.  They can go out or they can stay home and continue the practice of distancing and wearing gloves and masks in public.

Right now, people in some areas don't have a choice -- they have to follow mandates even if they live in a county that has no documented COVID cases.

I think it's time to start a gradual opening to relieve some of the pressure that's been building up.  Some people need to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We're seeing the effects of this lockdown at work.

@just bee -Yes! Agree with you whole heartedly! Couldn't have said it better myself. It should be MY choice to go out without a mask and roam around, just as it should be someone else's choice to stay at home. If I can respect your choice to stay home, why can't you respect my choice to not want to stay home? 

We are NOT supposed to be dependent on the government. That's why we fought a revolutionary war all those years ago and continue to fight for freedom and independence today. That's why we have the Constitution. All of the fallen soldiers who fought for our freedom are probably rolling over in their graves if they saw how we are being treated in our own country. 

Gee, @just bee - you and I are both healthcare folks, and I'm ready to get on with my life. What does this say? I do feel bad for all of the people that have died, especially the healthcare workers, but this is not living. There are worse things in life than death. Again, I think our fallen soldiers would agree. 

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@geezerette Well, I'm glad you shared that but sorry to hear it. And maybe a little bit horrified. Are we children, taking pleasure in getting away with something?

But I just heard from a colleague who lives in a semi-rural area that hasn't seen many local cases yet. Told me that about 1/2 the people are observing the stay at home protocol, and 1/2 are roaming freely, no mask, no distancing, because they are "proudly independent of the government." And my colleague is in that latter half, which is something I wish I hadn't foud out, because now I can't un-know it.

Except for the health care folks we're trying to protect, I wonder if "opening" won't be even more stressful than staying at home?

@KaySD 

The difference is that when communities start to open up again, people will have a choice.  They can go out or they can stay home and continue the practice of distancing and wearing gloves and masks in public.

Right now, people in some areas don't have a choice -- they have to follzow mandates even if they live in a county that has no documented COVID cases.

I think it's time to start a gradual opening to relieve some of the pressure that's been building up.  Some people need to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We're seeing the effects of this lockdown at work.

I can imagine that a good majority of the people are going to come out of this with some sort of mental problems, especially PTSD. The stress and fear out there for some is real. 

The other day I was in ShopRite.  I was standing in one of the main aisles looking at the signs because I couldnt remember where to find certain things. There was this woman that was walking towards me and ducked into the end of the aisle right before passing me just standing there .Next thing I know she is peeking out. Then she peeks out again and I asked her if she wanted to pass and she did so I moved over more for her.  Sorry, but if she was doing that throughout the store, she was going to be there a very long time. I dont blame people for being nervous but behavior is really getting odd.  Most people will have all sorts of problems once this is said and done. 

I think there are people that will go out to restaurants once they open but I do wonder how many. It will be interesting. 

Our gov is talking about opening parks and golf courses up next weekend. What a joke. The only reason he is opening them up is because he was getting pressure.  Which is fine by me but if this is so serious why would he succumb to pressure over the good of the people. 

Interesting times. 

@aprilskies - I agree, some people's behavior is getting downright crazy. And the longer this goes on, the worse it will become.Some people are just nasty, but some are really scared to death. What a horrible way to live. 

Our governor opened up golf courses, but no carts allowed. What???? She also said that contruction can begin May 7. But don't even think about getting that hernia repaired or getting your cataracts removed, still can't go to the doctor unless you are dying or have COVID. Makes a lot of sense right?

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I hope you all are doing well and hanging in there. I am trying to go for more walks but the last couple of days havent been successful. 

But I do know one thing, it is time to address HEP.  I am so glad we have another month of working from home, otherwise I would be in big trouble. What would I wear. So, as of today, I am going to try and be very careful about what and how much I am consuming. This lockdown has been even worse for me with HEP.  In June, at my work, I am sure they will stagger people back in if we do go back in physically so I see an end game in sight and one I need to be somewhat ready for.  

My goal is 33 lbs. Seems so daunting. But, I am making 10 lbs as my goal right now. Break it down in nibble sizes. 

@aprilskies - I know that it can seem daunting, when I started dieting and cutting back in January I had a goal of 38lbs. I have lost 28 of them and want to lose about 10 more. It hasn't always been easy for sure, but once I kind of got used to it, it has become more of a habit. I try to walk a few days a week, but if I don't get to it I don't stress about it.

I agree, start with a goal of 10lbs and just take it one day at a time. Any downward progress is still progress. I'm telling ya, I feel so much better since I've lost the weight. My clothes fit now and I don't feel as embarrassed about my weight. And my knee still doesn't hurt. It's so worth it to eat better to feel so much better. You can do this too!

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

On a frivolous note, I just put my last shampoo out as hand soap so we will see how it does. I dont think I liked it as shampoo.  I had a ton of shampoo. So, now I have 3 big daddy’s in the shower and one at the sink.  All into play now and none in the linen closet. Still compacting as I go. 

In thinking about this year, I havent added many products at all that weren’t needed. Maybe three.  But, those purchases made me realize that I am done chasing the hyped up items or even items I think are going to make a big difference. They end up giving me problems and then are a waste of money. 

I should go through my linen closet and see what I have left in each category. I know I still have a ton of hair products, but should refresh my memory on the other things. Easy to forget what is in there. 

@aprilskies -That's good that you are still ComPacting. Honestly, I haven't been intentionally trying to cut back, but I haven't bought much lately (other than groceries, been buying LOTS of those). I have actually bought several hand soap refills because it seems like every time I go to a store they're almost all gone, so I have 4-5 big refills here. But other than that, I really haven't bought a lot. One foundation, a couple of other small things from Ulta, a couple of body washes from Dollar Tree. I might order a couple of things from Amazon soon, some of the things I use are hard to find in local stores so I just order them anyway. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@KaySD 

Right now, people in some areas don't have a choice -- they have to follow mandates even if they live in a county that has no documented COVID cases.

@just bee -Yes! Agree with you whole heartedly! Couldn't have said it better myself. It should be MY choice to go out without a mask and roam around, just as it should be someone else's choice to stay at home. If I can respect your choice to stay home, why can't you respect my choice to not want to stay home? 

We are NOT supposed to be dependent on the government. That's why we fought a revolutionary war all those years ago and continue to fight for freedom and independence today. That's why we have the Constitution. All of the fallen soldiers who fought for our freedom are probably rolling over in their graves if they saw how we are being treated in our own country. 

Gee, @just bee - you and I are both healthcare folks, and I'm ready to get on with my life. What does this say? I do feel bad for all of the people that have died, especially the healthcare workers, but this is not living. There are worse things in life than death. Again, I think our fallen soldiers would agree. 

This is just the first wave. 

Wait until the bill for this thing comes due...

Trusted Contributor

@just bee Well, exactly. And those clashes are what may make it more stressful! Currently, people are either complying or defying, but everybody knows what the rules are. I foresee a possible period of confusion and conflict. If I roam freely, am I putting you at risk? How close is too close? Etc. mind you, I don't know what the answers are, and neither does anyone else, but it could get tense.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies You said it! It'll be tricky navigating it all. We all need patience with ourselves and each other. I don't see how anything even close to normal will be possible in much less than a year.